Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Velocity effects of barrel length

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

Velocity effects of barrel length

How much can one expect the velocity to change per inch of barrel? This is mainly asked in the realm of Magnum Calibers(7mm Rem, or 300Win). For example if a reloading manual states velocities achieved using a 26 inch barrel and your rifle only has a 24 inch barrel, how does one estimate the change in velocity. I don't have a chronograph yet so a ball park figure would be nice to know about any given load.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Velocity effects of barrel length

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecat View Post
How much can one expect the velocity to change per inch of barrel? This is mainly asked in the realm of Magnum Calibers(7mm Rem, or 300Win). For example if a reloading manual states velocities achieved using a 26 inch barrel and your rifle only has a 24 inch barrel, how does one estimate the change in velocity. I don't have a chronograph yet so a ball park figure would be nice to know about any given load.
Typically the magnums benefit from extra barrel length because of lots of slower burning
powders that they use.

The cases with less than 50 grains of case capacity can use shorter barrels.

So the magnums will lose about 30 to 40 ft/sec for each inch of barrel loss. so you should
lose about 50 to 60 ft/sec going from a 26" to a 24" barrel on the 300 Win.

These velocities will vary some depending on type of powder and the barrel and chamber
combination.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Velocity effects of barrel length

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Typically the magnums benefit from extra barrel length because of lots of slower burning
powders that they use.

The cases with less than 50 grains of case capacity can use shorter barrels.

So the magnums will lose about 30 to 40 ft/sec for each inch of barrel loss. so you should
lose about 50 to 60 ft/sec going from a 26" to a 24" barrel on the 300 Win.

These velocities will vary some depending on type of powder and the barrel and chamber
combination.

J E CUSTOM
+1 with JE, very well said.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"