Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

V Max on African varmints

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: V Max on African varmints

2scoops,

I have used the 100 gr Ballistic Tip in my 25-06 rifles to take more deer then I care to count. Ranging from 120 lb does up to +300 lb mature bucks. At ranges from 50 yards to 450 yards.

I will not say this is the ideal bullet for 300 lb game but when the bullet is placed in the correct location, things die very quickly.

On the springbuck I would think this bullet would be nearly perfect in weight and performance. Keep us posted with your results!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Gold Member

Re: V Max on African varmints

2scoops,

I might have hit upon a fluke whan I did my last load development for my 25/06. It is a straight factory rifle with the only thing chaged out being the stock and no bedding done.

It started life shooting the 100gr BT's and did so extremely well. In fact it would shoot nice little clovers at 200yds no problem. I had several issues with up close shots on deer however, and switched over to the 115gr Partitions. I forgot to change my seating die as I was working up the loads. What I ended up with was the seating die set to load the 100gr BT's at 3.250", and then when I seated and shot the Partitions, they shot just as well. I have since loaded the Barnes X and the newer 115gr BT as well to the same setting on the seating die. I just never had reason to change it. They will all shoot into their respective groups at 200yds but will all still go under 2" combined.

It might be worht a try, if your looking to shoot a heavier bullet.

I use 56.5grs of RL-22, Win cases, and Win-WLR primers.

The load has done great on everything I have pulled the triger on with the exception of a few fairly large hogs at around 400yds. It dropped them but they did require a follow up shot.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"