Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

USMC web sling set up for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Bronze Member

USMC web sling set up for hunting

Hopefully there are a few USMC vets here that used the old style Web sling set up during rifle qualification and qualification training. It seemed to be a very effective way of steading a rifle in any position to assist in accurate shooting. Yet in all the years I have hunted I never really seriously considered using a sling as we did in the corps for hunting. What got me to thinking about this is that I just purchased a Elk license for the Colorado draw and would like to take longer than normal shots. My hunting buddy is considering buying a bipod for his rifle to this end which got me to thinking about possibly using a sling instead like we did in the corps.

Sorry to draw that question out so long but the question is: has anyone here tried using those old marine corps rifle qualification sling techniques for steading their rifles for long range hunting? I guess the other part of that question is would a bipod be more practical?
Old 03-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

Re: USMC web sling set up for hunting

I've tried both. I found the sling effective, the bipod and rear bag much more so.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks Grit.

We will be backpaking our camp in several miles so weight is a major consideration, but if the votes lean mostly toward the bipod, then that's what I'll probably go with.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

I understand. It's difficult to justify the size and bulk of a bipod when you cut your toothbrush in half to save an ounce. A truly lightweight version is badly needed. There's a market niche and money to be had. Sure doesn't seem like a great chore to make a carbon fiber unit.

Personally, I nearly always carry a bipod. I shoot off them so much the weight and bulk is worth it to me. That said, you could do a whole lot with your pack and what you already carry. Backpack for a front rest, tightly rolled pair of socks or other article of clothing for a rear rest would be very versatile and effective.

In my experimenting, I found the sling effective to six hundred-ish. compared to the bipod, it's an, "I'll make it work type of stability". This is too limiting for me. I have not practiced with the sling extensively. A real expert would likely do better. A friend of mine, Tyler, hunts with a sling extensively. You might send him a PM. He goes by 7mmstak here. He chooses to limit his shooting to 600 - 700 yards.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

shooting with a sling, mind you not a USMC sling, I feel pretty good to 500 yards. With a backpack 700 yards. with a bi-pod 1k. I hike some nasty stuff and I always find it worth the weight.
If your backpack has eccessory loops eberlestock makes a pretty lightwieght front rest that straps right to the exterior of your pack (so it doesnt take up valuable space).

I totally agree, a lightwieght model is despratly needed. Guys pay $2000-$3000 for a spotting scope for sheep hunts, so why not pay $350-$450 for a really lightweight bi-pod. I think that a carbon fiber/titanium model would fit the bill.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:35 AM
Silver Member

As a Ex-Marine all I take on Backpack hunts is the sling. Yes its a weight thing. To tell the truth 99% of all Big Game is shot under 300 yds. My last MT Deer was shot at under 200 yds, we all practice for the long shot but most end up being shot in short range.........
Old 03-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

I do a lot of high country,and my preferred bipod is my Atlas, with QD plate,12 0z. Rides in pouch unless I think I might need it quick,then on rifle. I have another rig and mount for son for a snipepod 6-8 oz. This unit is a prone to sitting, more like shock corded alum,arrow size rods.You more balance on it. I have found very useful, back against tree,elbows on knees and bipod. When I am at timberline in 2' snow, flip out and gets me out of snow for a mountain buck. I have probably had a 1/3 of my game taken at 500+, my son more so for 16 yr.old 8 of 11 game taken from 300 to 800.Depends on area and type hunting you do.With bow I have had bulls at 3 yrd,9yrd, thats the fun stuff