Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Using Mil-Dots with power settings for holdover?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Silver Member

Using Mil-Dots with power settings for holdover?

Has anyone tried the concept of using Mil-Dots for holdover using the power settings to change the dot used? Example as shown in this chart.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Gold Member

Re: Using Mil-Dots with power settings for holdover?

A nice intellectual exercise, but much too complicated for field use.

By the time you range the critter, figure out the drop by the ballistics, then look up the right power to set the scope on, then set the scope to that power... there won't be a critter to shoot.

LRH member #23
Old 04-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

I spent 2 years in that phase. I then found myself sticking to either 10X where the Mil Dots were calibrated and 14X and a chart such as yours. It was a good learning curve.

My problem is that my brain jumbles up when there is hair in the scope and not much time for a shot. I would almost always revert back to "well, right about there" and launch the shot. My ol' knoggin just couldn't handle the workload when more than one power was used w/the mil dot.

I have since made my own turret tape calibrated to my actual field test drops out to about 1100 yds. Now its like GG says in his signature line except for the dump'em part. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

That is exactly what I do but ONLY for 24x

My scope has only two settings, as far as I'm concerned.
It is on the lowest setting until a target is sighted, then I either take a quick shot, assuming no time or the target is close, OR the scope goes to max magnification.

It keeps your chart much less cluttered and less room for error. Generally no compensation is needed for shots closer than 150 yards unless you are zeroed waaay out there.

edge.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Silver Member

You guys are assuming that I want to carry the whole chart with me. The chart that I carry is condensed to just yardage, power and dot. Can't be any slower that clicking?

200-24X1
250-23x2
Old 04-16-2007, 11:41 AM
Silver Member

I think the concept is interesting, but as a rule I use the MilDots at the power setting the mfrg. says and then avoid a lot of trouble.

In fact, my own ballistics software has 22 reticles styles to show a graphical depiction of the "holdover" values for each stadia linea, of course, at the right setting.

LoadBaseŠ Desktop & Mobile editions - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com
Old 04-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Gold Member

Dear SamSpade,

What you tryed to do IS NOT WORKING IN THE FIELD.
I use the same like others guys, 2 power in my scope 16X for shoots past 800yards and 10x in close range.
I already develope a drop chart for holdovers in MILS and it is stick on my stock, and another one in my inside cover cap for scope.
K.I.S. this is the way to go (Kip IT SIMPLE).
I develop my self a excel file for my PALM, where i just insert all the variables and I got the holdovers in mils or click for X power scope.
If you need it shoot me one email. THE EXCELL FILE USED ALSO THE SLOPE CORRETION, tem, elev, wind, etc... all variables from EXbal.

Chris
jcv028@yahoo.ca