Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Used Sendero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member
Used Sendero

I saw a couple Senderos in a couple of pawn shops and was thinking about getting one. One is a 7mm RM ($850) and the other is a 7mm RUM ($900) They seem to be in good shape. According to the Rem site, they have HS aluminum block bedded stocks which would be a big plus.

I'm leaning toward the RUM. If I buy it, I would scope it and shoot it as is, to test the accuracy and rebarrel if not real good.

If I got the RM I would just go ahead and rebarrel to a 7mm RUM or 300 RUM.

What should I look for to give them a careful look over?

What should I offer for one?

Any brass available other than Rem?

Any other thoughts or comments?

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 11-15-2008 at 02:06 PM.

Unread 11-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Re: Used Sendero

If you are gonna rebarrel to RUM, then I'd buy the RUM to begin with.

If the factory barrel shoots well, you'll save yourself money....

I have many senderos and have found they shoot great for a factory stick.

Some of the things I have done is recrown the barrel, lighten the trigger to 2.5 - 3 lbs and skim bed the action with marine-tex.

The factory stocks are great. Mine are all original models. The II's have large palm swells.

Just check them over, make sure all parts are functional. Both seem fair priced...

Look at it this way... the action, stock and triggers are worth 750 to 800 alone....

Good luck.
Lightforce Lights Dealer
Unread 11-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Bronze Member

i also have a couple of the older senderos and both shoot very very well.i think u should definately go ahead and get the RUM.if they are in decent shape they are probably worth what he is asking but knowing a little about the pawn shop world the guy probably has $200 bucks in each is ridiculous what people pawn those things off for.i would try $650 or 700 first.i bet u can walk out for 750 easy with cash money.Good luck!u wont regret it.
Unread 11-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

If you are going to end up with a RUM, then start with just may pick up a "shooter"!!! Also, and I could be wrong, but I remember seeing somewhere that there are some feeding issues, magazene work, or something....that needs to be done to switch from a regular Mag to a RUM. Some of you gun cranks can answer that question.

If its true, avoid the headache and do it right the first time.

Just my opinion.
Unread 11-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Gold Member

Had a 7mm Rem mag Sendero that shot superbly. Great gun that actually held it's own against some custom rigs. Barrel was rough though, and fouled easily - not unusual for Remington.

Trigger needed help, but that was easy.

They can be really nice rifles. I can't believe how expensive they've become - used to be able to pick 'em up new around here for $500 or so... Wish I had that rifle back!

Regards, Guy
Unread 11-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

I got a 7mm sendero II last spring. I had some material taken out of the forend to make sure the barrel didn't touch anything at all. Trigger taken down to 2lbs and some bedding done around the forward aluminum block. The rear block/action screw was pretty tight.

Mine has a heavy oversized firing pin and causes some primer cratering but nothing too severe.

I really like the stock and am currently thinking about cerakote and the barrel.
Unread 11-17-2008, 01:25 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the input guys, it really helped. I'll probabally opt for the RUM if I can get the funds together before it's gone. And yeah, I know the pawn shops have a real big mark up so I'll be making an offer lower than their sticker.

Have to admit, I have never been a real big Remmy fan. My first rifle was a 243 BDL with iron sights, and it was good until it came up with a crack in the bolt. I sent it into Ilion and they replaced it. But Ive had a couple of Rugers and a S&W (Howa) and a Sako and like all of them better, especially the Sako, it's a real sweet action but accuracy in this rifle is sub par. But I've read a lot of good commets about these Rems here so why not give them a try. And the HS stock is a big factor.

Thanks again, if I get it, I'll keep ya posted.