Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

United states of america... anyone????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Bronze Member

United states of america... anyone????

looking over my landowner maps and found a choice piece of dirt labeled "United States of America", not BLM, not State land, not USFS. Took a ride up to it to find a locked gate and an outfitter that really tried to get rid of me but I could tell he couldn't do alot about it even though he told me i was on private land. Local word is that the land is privately owned, gps landowner maps say otherwise. Anybody know what USA land is or how once private land becomes property of USA??? What are my access rights as a tax paying US citizen???
Old 11-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: United states of america... anyone????

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearpaw View Post
looking over my landowner maps and found a choice piece of dirt labeled "United States of America", not BLM, not State land, not USFS. Took a ride up to it to find a locked gate and an outfitter that really tried to get rid of me but I could tell he couldn't do alot about it even though he told me i was on private land. Local word is that the land is privately owned, gps landowner maps say otherwise. Anybody know what USA land is or how once private land becomes property of USA??? What are my access rights as a tax paying US citizen???
Find out who actually owns it.

Locals often post land that is not watched over.
Here, it is $25 per sign you post that is not yours to post.

If it is Federal Land then I would assume that you can hunt per Federal law...but watch your back!

edge.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

Not all federally owned land is open to hunting. Depending on where it is there may even be a classified military or homeland security installation on it.

I'd be very careful about pushing it unless and until you find exactly who owns it and what access is or isn't allowed.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Bronze Member

it is 100% owned by the United States of America according to the Montana Government cadastral map of property records....
Old 11-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Bronze Member

spoke to the local game warden and he confirms that it is USA property, and say it would take alot of research on his part to determine if any tickets could be written by him in the event of an uproar. His advice was tot alk to a judge to see if it would be prosecuted, do my own research and make my own call, he didn't tell me no...ha ha!
Anyone have any experience withthis type of property???
Old 11-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearpaw View Post
spoke to the local game warden and he confirms that it is USA property, and say it would take alot of research on his part to determine if any tickets could be written by him in the event of an uproar. His advice was tot alk to a judge to see if it would be prosecuted, do my own research and make my own call, he didn't tell me no...ha ha!
Anyone have any experience withthis type of property???
If it were me I'd contact USF&W and talk to one of their wardens that covers your area before I even thought about crossing that boundary.

The local judge won't be able to do a damned thing for you if you commit a federal offense.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Bronze Member

It could be land that was ceased by the federal Government. maybe someone didnt pay their income tax.