Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Understanding Cold Barrel Shots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Understanding Cold Barrel Shots

Marcel.

You're getting some great info.

I'm one of the lucky one, 3 of my main rifles put the first clean bore first shot in the group.

Nevertheless, I have been told by the fella that made 2 of them to never, never, take an unfouled barrel hunting. I have come to trust Kirby Allen totally and he said this. Also he built two of my shooters.

Also I clean after about 20 rounds. Why? Cause Kirby said.

You are quite a shooter. There aren't many shooters that know their rifle as well as you know yours.

I'd hate to be bro baboon in your neck of the woods.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Marcel, Welcome to LRH?
Typo...

Should be...

Marcel, Welcome to LRH!

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-22-2013, 03:56 PM
Gold Member

Temp changes have MUCH TO DO with a change in zero....considering cold bore shots.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:08 AM

Thanks, Mark.
The more I have discussions and read up, the more I am in agreement with you and my friend.
I'm going to do some test this afternoon, once staff are off the farm. I excited to see what the outcome is going to be!
I am extremely confident in the scope and mounts. I have a NF piccatini rail, and 30mm NF rings, well secured. The scope has past my own box test four times, at various intervals. The stock is really good, and I have had no sighting problems, or required any adjustments, after removing and refitting the stock.
I think the biggest problematic variable with my rifle, is me the operator!!
I'll post results soon.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:12 AM

Yip, Temp is definitely a factor, and one that is not that easy to calculate. Practice, practice, practice, and then ask, and then practice.....
What a great sport this is...... Thanks!
Old 08-23-2013, 06:03 AM
Gold Member

After reading all the posts I have a few observations.
First off when trying to fix an accuracy problem do not introduce more potential variables.
So forget molly coating until the cold shot issue is resolved or improved.
If temperature is a factor then I would start with checking the stocks bedding and tightness of action screws.
It is possible that the bedding needs some modifications.
Also I don't think the answer is to clean less so much. I think after you have cleaned , the bore needs a fouling shot or two to condition it .
So before you shoot at a target on a clean barrel . Patch out any oil from the barrel AND CHAMBER and if possible fire a shot or two into the ground inside the shed or barn where the noise will not travel and then go shooting baboons . If thats not practical due to time of day then do it the day before after you have cleaned and lightly oil the barrel. Clean out the oil just before setting off to hunt .
If you hold a gun hard against your shoulder it will print higher than if you shy away from the recoil .
So make sure your shooting style is the same each time.
From a clean barrel Moly coating takes many more shots to settle down the group than uncoated bullets so that is only going to complicate it more . Later it can be a big help but not know . I have been doing my own Moly coating for many years .
It could just be something you are doing at the first shot and then you settle into a better pattern . A movie of you shooting would be a great analysis tool as it will pick up little things that we do wrong that we don't think we are doing . I once helped a guy from Germany and after about 6 months he sent me a video of him shooting at his range . BINGO ! I spotted 7 basic mistakes he was making and it sorted his style right out , groups dramatically shrunk after that . Did similar for a guy in El Paso Texas from still photos .
Just cover your face with a hat and sunglasses for privacy .
Old 08-26-2013, 10:33 AM

Hi all. Thanks for the very helpful info. I agree that I should sort the problem out before introducing new variables like molly coating.
I have been back on the range!!!
I have great news! The fouled barrel solved the problem. I shot two rounds through the rifle on Friday.
On Saturday morning, I shot 5 rounds out approximately 1 minute apart. the first two shots were within 1/2" group, making a figure 8 shape, as they overlapped. Unfortunately, I pulled the third shot to the left by 3/4". The forth and fifth were in the first 1/2" group. I waited an hour and just did a pull through with my snake. (No oils/abrasives at all - new snake) , and then shot 5 rounds again. Again, first three shots spot on around the bull. All overlapped. My forth I again pulled left, but 5th spot o again.! I then went hunting some KOLGAANSE (Large Geese) with a a neighbor. We took shots ranging between 100 to 900 yards. My friend shoots a 300 Win Mag. Savage. I had minimal success on the 812 yard shots, but they were only off slightly (3 to 4 Inches left or right) due to my poor wind estimates. We never had a wind meter, and it was quite breezy. At 350 yards, spot on. The various shots were taken long breaks, whilst driving around looking for the geese. So always a cold shot, and I was very happy with the height placement, according to my chart. Height was mostly 100%, but just my windage adjustments that were not the best.
So, it seems my problem was a clean perhaps oily barrel. Now I am very confident that the problem is solved.

Thanks again to all the contributed.