Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Under an MOA but is it "GOOD"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 12:16 PM
Bronze Member

Under an MOA but is it "GOOD"

I am just really getting into longer range shooting (past 600 yards) and last Sunday night I shot three 3 shot groups that all measured around 6" with the smallest measuring in at an honest 5 1/2" at 850 yards. I am shooting a Remington 700 Sendero SF ll in 300 ultra mag with a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 and running 185gr. Berger vld at 3050 fps. I guess my question is do you think that's "good" or should I be striving for better results than that. Thanks
Old 06-25-2014, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Under an MOA but is it "GOOD"

the easy answer is that is a good group but always strive for better. Personally moa doesnt mean a thing to me. a 1 moa group at 300 yards is crap and if thats the best I can get that rifle is getting a new barrel. industry standard is moa or better. Set your own standards.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 06-25-2014, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

My question is why are you running it so slow???

Keeping under MOA at 600 yards and further is very good for a newer shooter, heck a lot of experienced guys don't always do that.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Bronze Member

When i was building the load for the gun I ran it up to around 3200 fps but my groups opened up to much for me so I started slowing it down until my groups shrank to a 1/2 at 200 yards. With the turrets I have found that I don't need to push the speed as much because I can just dial for the distance.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
When i was building the load for the gun I ran it up to around 3200 fps but my groups opened up to much for me so I started slowing it down until my groups shrank to a 1/2 at 200 yards. With the turrets I have found that I don't need to push the speed as much because I can just dial for the distance.
Understandable.
With that cartridge and some playing at the range maybe a powder change you could get the extra out of it if you wanted to maximize distance.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:28 PM
Gold Member

You don't say if you're shooting from a rest (if so what kind) or what shooting positions you're using. That would help to better evaluate your shooting results.
First of all, your 600 yard target groups are just fine. I suspect you're still working out "shooter input" (rifle honeymoon) issues and when those are refined your 6" groups will tighten up.
Secondly, I'm impressed that you've learned to work with the scope turrets. While MV is certainly important, faster isn't always better. With the data you listed you're still well above sub-sonic velocities at 1k by a full 34%. At this point, I would focus on good marksmanship techniques and see if I could get it consistently at .5 - .75 MOA at 600 with the load you're using.
You've already learned that faster isn't necessarily better. Working for higher MV sometimes drives you into never-never land trying to find the next node and your rifle is unlikely to perform the same as the guy with an identical rifle using the same load.

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:49 PM
Bronze Member

2 groups were fired from prone one with a lead sled and one with a bipod and rear bag and the other off a bench with the lead sled.