Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ultimate Pronghorn Rifle, opinions welcome....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Gold Member

Re: Ultimate Pronghorn Rifle, opinions welcome....

Kirby I have a .270WBY. on a Sako action with 28" #5 barrel
that wallops white tail deer pretty good.With a high BC bullet it would slay the pgoat on out there.Be alot better than a 22 rim fire!!
Old 08-23-2005, 03:29 PM

I hear what you are saying Kirby... Like I said I am sure the AM's do quite well...

Fireforming just isn't my thing...

I have every intention of trying Richards bullets at some point. I just am impatient and I don't want to order 500 for fear my rifle would not like them. Also, for me I'd have to get my throat and OAL based around those long thin bullets of his and my Mag dimensions. These rifles are built on SA's and they are not real condusive to l o n g thin bullets... Although I am not a "lead thrower" I do like to have one or 2 in the mag. if I would need a follow up shot. So single shot rifles are not my thing unless I would compete only with them.
I also like to shoot and shoot often every rifle I have... (I have over 2800 rounds in a 308 Chris built for me just over a year ago) even if it is just a "hunting" rifle. I enjoy heading to the desert for some PD's and some "sand blasting" just to keep my skills sharp. So a super fast screamer just doesn't fit my M.O. at this time.

I guess I build stuff on practicality.. if it ain't practical I don't really see a use for it sort of attitude.. I like back up plans as well.. hence the "must be able to shoot factory stuff too" attitude...

I hope to have them in my grubby paws soon!! ;-)
Old 08-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Gold Member

Hey Kirby,

your in luck so far. My wife doesn't hate you ....yet. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

However, in the not so far off future, or possibly sometime mid next year she might reconsider.[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As for shooting, she likes to shoot pistols from 38's up to my 44 mag. For the rifles, well she gets bored prety easily after shooting the bull out a few times, she just doens't see the point. LOL I personally would REALLY hate to make her mad enough to want to draw down, cause I have seen her shoot enough to know it would all be over in a matter of seconds. As for the hunting well, she is more of the, you bring it in and I will help you chop it up, but don't ask me to shoot it, sort of girl.

Looking forward to seeing some groups out of that thing at some decent hunting ranges. I am sure it won't be long till you have a half decent load worked up for it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 08-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Sniper2,

The 270 Wby is in my opinion one of Roys best creations but unfortunately one of the least popular probably due to the caliber.

The 270 Wby will reach WAY out there in a well designed rifle and perform exceptionally well on game up to 400 lbs and even larger with porper shot placement.

Certianly no flies on that old girl!!

Thanks for the reply,

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Ric,

Yes fireforming can get tiresome, thats why I generally only form 50 rounds of brass per batch and shoot it until it give up the ghost.

I would agree that for someone wanting to shoot their rifles alot the Allen Magnums are not the best choice, no arguement from me there.

I will also admit that ripping a 156 gr .257 bullet out of a light 30" barrel at +3400 fps can result in some load tweaking being required compared to a more conventional round.

Also, a short action rifle can easily be built into a 7 lb rifle with great accuracy and consistancy whereas that is not practical with this type of round, again, I fully agree.

But for pure HorsePower, which I think you know I have a soft side for, theres nothing like lighting a match under 100 gr of WC872 in a 1/4 bore rifle!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Very interested in seeing your new rigs, please post pics even if this thread dies off.

Whos doing the work? Chris?? If so we all know they will be impressive to the eye as well as on the range!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com