Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ultimate Pronghorn Rifle, opinions welcome....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Ultimate Pronghorn Rifle, opinions welcome....

To all,

Many of you know I was lucky enough to draw a pronghorn permit that I have been after for sometime now. Anyway, just finished up building the rifle that I will use on this hunt.

Personally I feel this is my concept of the ultimate pronghorn rifle but before I list my idea of what makes the perfect pronghorn rifle as well as pics, I wanted to see what you guys feel would live up to this rather bold statement???

Thanks for the replies in advance.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-21-2005, 10:28 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Ultimate Pronghorn Rifle, opinions welcome....

Ok I'll bite on this one: The 257 AM. Pronhorn are like small deer except they live in mostly open country relying on their speed for survial, so a big bullet isn't necessary. I forget what you and Richard have come up with in 257, but I suspect it will be just about the exact amount of killing power and long range performance. We don't have pronhorn in BC, but from what I've read it seems a good strategy would be to get up on a little rise where you can over looking a large likely area to hold pronhorn, taking your range finder some water and a sandwich or two. Get there as it's dawning and spend the day there.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Here goes:
Something in the range of 25 cal or 6mm with a screaming 100 grain or maybe a bit bigger bullet. Long, 3 groove bbl to get the velocity but light enough to drag through the sage brush easily. I'd do the extreme configuration w/maybe the V block just to make it even more unique.

A decent scope [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] maybe 10X or one of those weavers. With a Mil Dot so you don't have to click. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Then I'd mount the rifle along with the trophy head and the story engraved on a brass plate. That would give the grandkids something to take to the antique road show when it gets to Great Falls.[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You kind of supprised me. I figured you would just use your wife's rifle. But no, you had to go an show off and make a special one just cause you could. Come to think of it there ain't no better reason.[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good luck and good shootin'
Old 08-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Bronze Member

I am in the process of building an antelope rifle as we speak. I am not a wildcat shooter but the average Joe looking to wack an antelope using readily available calibers...for me it was the 257 Weatherby, 26" #4 Shilen, 700 action, Jewell trigger
Old 08-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Silver Member

No debate - I've already ordered the ultimate pronghorn gun for fall 06 when I plan on taking mine at over one mile. To do that I'll use a 7mm Allen Uber mag single shot with the biggest baddest barrel Kirby will consent to - and Richard's best projectile.

My top three scope choices? All have NP-R2 illuminated reticules that add an additional 35 MOA <ul type="square">[*] 8-32x56 Benchrest ( 1/8 MOA turrets - 50 MOA usable )[*]NXS 5.5X22X56 with 95 MOA usable[*]NXS 3.5-15x56 with 111 MOA usable[/list]The winning scope - Again no choice really, the 8-32x56 BR with 1/8 MOA turrets. It will be mounting a 60 to 90 MOA pre CANT rail. Should I be so unlucky as to see a monster antelope at a mere 200 yards, that's what the A-bolt .270 WSM is for.

None of the calibers mentioned have enough energy to deliver the knock out blow at one mile.

I love to pit Kirby against Kirby [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2005, 07:30 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Alremkin,

Your pronghorn hunting technique would get you some good bucks my friend. I always feel its better to let the big bucks come to you they try to force the issue trying to get to them. Course that is why Richard and myself are making these crazy wildcat rounds and bullets so that the "Letting the big bucks come to you comment" covers alot more ground then it used to [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!

Thanks for the reply,

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-22-2005, 07:33 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Roy,

Your close my friend, at least to my idea of the Ultimate Pronghorn rifle. Remember this is my version and I will admit there are infinate versions that would quality for each one of us. Just like to hear others idea that would be the ultimate for them. Then they can critic my version.

Its funny you mentioned my wifes rifle, actually it was used for this project as this will be my pronghorn rifle but more importantly HER deer rifle.

After seeing the performance increase with the new Lilja barrels I just had to see what effect the new Liljas would have on this rifle. We will see soon!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com