Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Tyler's 1st deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Gold Member

Tyler\'s 1st deer

.I had a friend of mine (Gary)call me up a few weeks ago,we had hunted together many times but he moved his family to Las Vegas 15 years ago and we have not hunted together since.
His son Tyler had drawn a Utah deer tag and he did not know where to hunt. he wanted to know if I could help them out.I was all about it since I went 0 for 18 in 7 western states on my own hunts this year.
We decided to hunt a monntain range I have always wanted to hunt but never have,we took a day or so to scout by 4-wheeler and foot and found an absolute deer mecca, it was a huge bowl covering several square miles.at dusk we saw many bucks and witnessed many hunters shooting box after box of shells without even 1 deer being taken.
I talked with Tyler that night "do you want to wail away at a deer tomorrow morning like the hunters we saw tonight or do you want to take your FIRST DEER", he chose the latter "good you are shooting my gun tomorrow".
The next morning we were in position and saw at least a dozen hunters pass on 3 different herds of deer saying they were all does, we were the only hunter's with a spotting scope (all 3 herds had bucks) I watched 2 hunters kick a herd out of the bowl, I told Tyler there are 3 bucks in that herd lets put a stalk on them, a half hour later we found them and snuck as close as we could 485 yds. I clicked in my scope and told Tyler take your time and make a good shot 1 shot 1 deer 2 happy friends
Old 10-29-2006, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

Re: Tyler\'s 1st deer

uncleB,

got this when I tried the link - Sorry, the page you requested was not found
Old 10-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Gold Member

by the way my rifle was a SakoAV in 270WSM Norma-7mm shooting 160gr accubonds with a McMillan stock smithed by Fiftydriver. thanks Kirby
UB
Old 10-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

uncleB,

Good job on being the go to guy! Sounds like Tyler new what he wanted & you got him there. Tell Tyler one of the guys said nice shooting! Nice pic by the way. Memories last forever, take a kid hunting..... Thanks uncleB for doing that.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
we saw many bucks and witnessed many hunters shooting box after box of shells without even 1 deer being taken.

[/ QUOTE ]

And who knows how many deer were wounded and I'll bet those are the guys reading this forum from a "safer" place and sneer at our long range hunting!

[ QUOTE ]
we were the only hunter's with a spotting scope (all 3 herds had bucks)

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why you saw them and they didn't. The right gear makes all the difference.

COngrats uncle b and Tyler! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:33 PM
Silver Member

Nice job Unc B.and Tyler!!

you are a very unselfish person. I'm sure Tyler thinks the world of you.

Sounds like the B S magnum did it's job as expected with a Kirby smithed gun.----RHB
Old 10-30-2006, 04:30 AM
Silver Member

Amen to all the above!
Great stuff!