Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

is the twist rate wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

Re: is the twist rate wrong?

wonder if the jacket will take a a full load rum in an 8 twist?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member

10-twist is more than enough for anything you wanna throw at it. 9-twist will work for the big heavies, but so will a 10.

I'd tell your buddy to call and change his order ASAP to a 1:10...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

I would stick to the big heavies, you may be able to shoot the lighter ones at first but as the throat wears it may start thrashing jackets, nitriding may be a good option to try to extent the throat life.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
I will let him know what you recommend. I appreciate the replys. Thanks for the advice. What do you think about the 240gr smk??? That is a bullet that I was thinking might work.
I must have been thinking about Benchmark from another thread?

Anyway, yeah, the 240 SMK's should work fine but the other 2 will give you better ballistics.

Any monometal bullets will work in it and the 215 Hybrids should be fine as well.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
10-twist is more than enough for anything you wanna throw at it. 9-twist will work for the big heavies, but so will a 10.

I'd tell your buddy to call and change his order ASAP to a 1:10...
Actually, if you run the numbers in Berger's twist calculator, the 230 Hybrid and 200 CE C22"s are the edge of stability out of a 10 twist RUM.

Target Bullets | Berger Bullets

9 is a better twist for them.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Silver Member

Thank you to all that have givin words of wisdom. His barrel should be here by the end of the week. Unfortunately we cant find any bullets right now. He does have a few boxes of 210 vld's so we will try them. I will report back after some range time. Might need more suggestions. One last question why would anyone offer that fast of a twist for that caliber? It seems that a 10 twist is a good twist.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member

That's a good question. I don't know of any 30 cal bullets on the market shot at near RUM velocities that would need an 8 twist and very surprised they dont offer a 9 twist if they have 8 twists. A really long tactical mono type bullet would be the only reason to use an 8 that I can think of.

~ John Quincy Adams