Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Tubb's final finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 01:00 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Tubb's final finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
1: It is near impossible to improve the bore of a quality custom barrel when new.

2: It is almost always possible to improve factory bores.
I wholeheartedly agree with that. I was fortunate to get a tour of the Shilen factory when I bought my last custom barrel. I brought in a factory Model 700 in 7mm Rem Mag for re-barrleing. One of the smiths gave me a look at the bore with one of their high power, high dollar borescope machines. The bore looked like it had been cut with a rusty nail! The tool marks where hideous and deep.

The next bore we "scoped" was a Shilen Select Match Grade barrel that had been hand lapped. It was as smooth as glass. No tool marks visible at all. If I had not been sold already, I just was.

I have 2 Kriegers, and one Shilen. I broke all three in exactly like the manufactures recommend. I was easy and they all shoot very very well.

There is a guy at my range who broke in one of his Hart barrels with the Tubb Final Finish. So far so good according to him. Here is a video interview with barrel maker John Krieger. He talks a a little about maintenance and cleaning near the end.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Silver Member

Re: Tubb's final finish

I did it with my then new 300 Weatherby Ultra lite. I feel it helped a great deal . Cleaning it was hercky -jerky . Now it cleans in a few swipes . Accuracy has improved and I have confidence in the rifle. If you ever saw an exploded hammer forged barrel , you would agree . They look like wash boards inside. I feel Tubb FF bullets can only improve a new hammer forged barrel. As others have said, you don't have to shoot a full compliment . I feel the smoother a barrel is inside equals harmonic, equals + or - equals accuracy. Thats why the make custom barrels (smooth) .