Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

TTSX or Scirocco for 7MM long range???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Bronze Member

TTSX or Scirocco for 7MM long range???

I have a 7Mm Rem Mag and am considering a 150 TTSX or Scirocco for ranges out to 800 yards on mule deer and elk. I have 168 bergers and 160 accubonds, but just want to know how you think the other 150 grainers would do and open up?????

Last edited by Elkslayer1; 07-26-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: TTSX or Scirocco for 7MM long range???

I shot Sciroccos in my LRH rifle for two yrs in Hornady HEavy MAg ammo and they were pretty darn good. But what I read about these TTSX bullest says they are 'sposa' be sooo much better. I have not yet tried them for economic reasons, but soon as I get a job and a paycheck I plan on ordering half a doz boxes. I think they are in the new SuperPerformance from Hornady.

Good luck.

NRA Life Member
Old 07-26-2010, 10:23 PM
Gold Member

I'd shoot which ever one shoots best, but I'd lean to the Bergers or the Barnes. But that's me.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Gold Member

The ttsx would have to be good on elk, especially up close, don't know how well they open at range though.
I would lean towards the 160 accubond. I have seen pictures on what it has done to small deer at ranges of 600 yds and was impressed. It still opens at range, but also retains mass so that it penetrates.

In my 7mm mag I use 160 accubonds under 300 yds and bergers past 300 yds, but in NZ I am only using them on deer, no elk where I hunt.

Stu.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip-co View Post
I shot Sciroccos in my LRH rifle for two yrs in Hornady HEavy MAg ammo and they were pretty darn good. But what I read about these TTSX bullest says they are 'sposa' be sooo much better. I have not yet tried them for economic reasons, but soon as I get a job and a paycheck I plan on ordering half a doz boxes. I think they are in the new SuperPerformance from Hornady.

Good luck.
Tip the SuperFormance Hornady's has Hornady's GMX sold copper TIPPED bullet not the Barnex TTSX Sir. Hope and pray things look up quick for ya as per the job Sir!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Gold Member

The Swift SSII and Bergers should have the better BC for your long range shooting!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popapi View Post
The Swift SSII and Bergers should have the better BC for your long range shooting!
True, but will the Scirocco II's open at extended range as good as the ttsx? I know Swift changed thier alloy's in the Scirocco II's to reduce copper fouling relitively recently. I love Accubonds!! But the main reason I went with them was it seemed to be the best combination of a tough bullet that would still reliably expand at range. Next choice would be the Barnes TTSX. I just wonder if the Swift isnt just a bit ''too tough'' for looong range?
Wow I never thought Id here myself say that.......Im always recomending tough bullets, and singing thier praises.......... OK this is weird

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"