Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

TTSX at Long Range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: TTSX at Long Range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradotank View Post
How does it compare to the Accubond at extended ranges. Thinking of trying the 120 or 150 grain in a 7 STW for elk. Thanks in advance.
I would pick the TTSX with your 7STW for Elk. You will not be disappointed! I shoot a 338 LAI but that is a whole different ball game and a different discussion .

Oh yea, I think this whole thread is funnier than the video posted!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Jeff, has you seen any difference in bullet weight vs penetration? Say a 7mm 140VLD in a RM or STW vs the more popular (by far) 168 or 180 as far a penetration goes on that shoulder shot? In honesty, it make me cringe, but I don't have much experience with Berger (understatement of the century).
I can not say I have for sure with a 7mm. But here is what happens with the 300 win and the 338 LM. I use the large weight offerings for these reasons. It is a fact the Berger will open and open fast and send off fragments into the vitals. But the longer the shot the less it spills off. You want the large bullets so after the fragments leave you have a good sized slug to carry on through leaving a large wound channel. The BC and wind bucking capabilities just help you get it in the vital zone. Most all my shots make complete pass throughs. Even at 1000 yards. The smallest exit at long range I have ever gotten was about 1 1/4 " and 1 1/2" is typical. I have never caught both shoulders at 1000, but I have one and the bull dropped and nver kicked. I hear all this talk about limited penetration with Bergers. But I have never seen it. But I shoot big rifles with big bullets. Works for me.

Jeff
Old 04-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I can not say I have for sure with a 7mm. But here is what happens with the 300 win and the 338 LM. I use the large weight offerings for these reasons. It is a fact the Berger will open and open fast and send off fragments into the vitals. But the longer the shot the less it spills off. You want the large bullets so after the fragments leave you have a good sized slug to carry on through leaving a large wound channel. The BC and wind bucking capabilities just help you get it in the vital zone. Most all my shots make complete pass throughs. Even at 1000 yards. The smallest exit at long range I have ever gotten was about 1 1/4 " and 1 1/2" is typical. I have never caught both shoulders at 1000, but I have one and the bull dropped and nver kicked. I hear all this talk about limited penetration with Bergers. But I have never seen it. But I shoot big rifles with big bullets. Works for me.

Jeff

I understand what you're sayin, as you have in many, many posts . I do believe the heavy for caliber bullets will work well, as stated in my dissertation a page or two back. My thought process (as of late) leads me to believe that the heavies offer two distinct advantages, BC & enough weight retention after the fragmentation phase to reliably peneterate. A different thought process than I held this time last year, I can tell you that lol I guess that's what brings us all here.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRTSHTR View Post
I would pick the TTSX with your 7STW for Elk. You will not be disappointed! I shoot a 338 LAI but that is a whole different ball game and a different discussion .

Or perhaps the 145 LRX?? Better BC than the 120 or the 150 which will win in the wind & maybe a little more velocity.... Just food for thought
Old 04-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Cwinner did the 168 grain ttsx from the 30-06 hit any bone? That looks like great expansion. It has a wide, flat front and alot of shank to drive it in deep.

That particular shot did not hit any bone, but it drove all the way from behind the last rib to the chest ( under the skin) of a big mule deer at 500 yds quartering away, from my sons 30-06. Muzzle velocity right about 3000fps at the start. I was watching throught he spotter and the trace was amazing!! I wish I had a video camera on that one.

As for the 7mm TTSX bullets, I have tried both the 140gr and 120 gr ones in my 284win......the 140's eat up a lot of case capacity so I have been using the 120gr ones.......I use this rifle for backpack hunts now as its a lot lighter and took a nice coues buck just over 400yds quartering away with the 120TTSX. I was hoping to recover the bullet, but all I got was a dead deer. The bullet had exited.

I keep thinking of using the Bergers as I have proved to myself the high BC is better for long range in the wind, but have not had the guts to change. I defeniately agree that a person is better off with the heaver for caliber bullets, they just don't make sense in my 284, but I love the 200+weights in the wby.