Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

TTSX at Long Range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: TTSX at Long Range?

Right Riley!! Tht shock is the transfer of energy and that flat nose is the key!!! I am so excited to shoot something at 1000 yard with my lapua and see the bullet after.
Great pics for posting!!! Hahaha
Old 04-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Butt remember it is not energy that kills it is hydrolic shock and the flat front nose of the barnes creates massive hydrolic shocl
I agree with you to a point. I think the Barnes bullet is an awesome bullet to a certain distance depending on the caliber. All that I was pointing out is that the further out you get the less that Barnes bullet is going to expand and the less hydrostatic shock it will produce. It really all depends on how far out you want to shoot and then I believe other bullets start to out perform the Barnes bullet.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Butt remember it is not energy that kills it is hydrolic shock and the flat front nose of the barnes creates massive hydrolic shocl
Negative, they create very little of it and that is why you can eat right up to the hole. I've never had an animal shot with a Barnes have multiple organs broken that were not in the direct path of the bullets, they have a very narrow but long wound channel. And don't forget if you hit them hard enough to shear the petals of in the first couple inches all you have is the shank, which gets it done if it stays on path and does not deflect.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Negative, they create very little of it and that is why you can eat right up to the hole. I've never had an animal shot with a Barnes have multiple organs broken that were not in the direct path of the bullets, they have a very narrow but long wound channel. And don't forget if you hit them hard enough to shear the petals of in the first couple inches all you have is the shank, which gets it done if it stays on path and does not deflect.
go to http://www.barnesbullets.com/informa...h-speed-video/ and watch the bottom video that say triple shock x bullet video clip

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 04-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
they create very little of it and that is why you can eat right up to the hole. I've never had an animal shot with a Barnes have multiple organs broken that were not in the direct path of the bullets, they have a very narrow but long wound channel. And don't forget if you hit them hard enough to shear the petals of in the first couple inches all you have is the shank, which gets it done if it stays on path and does not deflect.

Spot on, BnG speaks from experience here and this is what I have seen too.

Jeff
Old 04-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

I use a LOT of barnes bullets and I dont know about the hydrolic shock killing animals, it may or may not. I shoot for bone every time I shoot an animal reason being, its hard to run with 2 broken shoulders or a spine, and you can almost always count on an entrance and an exit wound from any angle. A hole above (infront of on an animal) the Diaphragm is called a sucking chest wound and if you dont fix it you can not live. These 2 things combined with colateral damage of the bullet passing through organs or sending bone schrapnel into them makes the barnes a pretty lethal bullet along with the insurance of knowing if everything doesnt work out perfectly and things start heading south you can shoot it up the tail pipe or the hip and probably keep from loosing an animal. As we all know not every shot opportunity is perfect and sometimes stuff needs to die now or miss the opportunity. If you use enough gun for what you are hunting then even if the petals did break off you still have a couple good holes in the animal and some broken bones. As far as accuracy goes I have found them to be very accurate. In fact in a lot of cases Barnes bullets are more accurate than anything else. at long range its a matter of mathematics. do what you have to do to make the bullet hit its mark.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 04-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Spot on, BnG speaks from experience here and this is what I have seen too.

Jeff

this is exactly my experience with the barnes bullets too .I never had a one shot kill while using them . after the third animal I stopped using them . Jim