Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ttsx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2008, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONYA View Post
What FPS in the photo?Is there a link to a video clip of this shot?Completly expanded in 2" of gel,that is impressive.Im well over 1800 at 500 so within the range I plan on shooting expansion shouldnt be an issue.Does anyone know if they have or will release the tipped tsx in 8mm 180 or 200 gr?

2000 FPS minimum for the 168 grain TTSX
Old 05-25-2008, 12:27 AM
Platinum Member

NONYA, I had a good chat with a Barnes tech rep a while back. They are planning to develop TTSX and MRX bullets for all the calibers eventually. The TTSX bullets (being all copper) are fairly long and they get a little too long in the higher weights for a particular caliber. That's where the MRX bullets come in with a tungsten rear core. You will see the TTSX's on the lower end of the weight scale for a particular caliber and the MRX's on the upper end. The TTSX also has a higher BC than the TSX and the MRX, and the MRX generaly has a higher BC than the TSX.

I think the Barnes bullets are great bullets and have been planning to build my loads on them but now I am reconsidering with the E-Tip which has a greater BC and less fouling. And for a .308, 200 gr bullet the Accubond at .588 BC is hard to beat and a proven accurate and well performing bullet.

The trade off between the TSX/TTSX and the E-Tip is penetration vs expansion and shock, and unlike the exploding BT, the E-Tip remains intact. Also heard that the E-Tip was recently tested in Africa with very good results, but that is very subjective. I'm waiting to hear reports from average guys on these forums including myself. The proof will be in the pudding. We should see some results this fall.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post

I think the Barnes bullets are great bullets and have been planning to build my loads on them but now I am reconsidering with the E-Tip which has a greater BC and less fouling.

What do you mean that the E-Tip fouls less than the TSX. I have been shooting the TSX for years and it fouls no more than any other bullet. What do you base this claim on?
Old 05-25-2008, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

As far as less fouling, that is what I have heard from another shooter and local gun store clerk. To actually *proove* might be difficult, but the E-Tip is made of a copper alloy and the Barnes bullets are made of copper.

If you are actually interested, you might ask some gunsmiths who own bore scopes what they think... as in comparing Barnes vs other bullets.

Again, I'm not knocking Barnes, just trying to get all the info. I have two boxes of TTSX's sitting right here and still think they would make a great hunting bullet.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-25-2008, 01:04 AM
Platinum Member

I have shoot thousands of the 180 TSX in my 300 Win and they are not prone to fouling at all and are very accurate

This group is at 300 yards

Old 05-25-2008, 01:07 AM
Gold Member

Fouling wont be an issue while Im only using barnes in the field on game,cant afford to shoot them at paper/steel.Ill get these loaded up,check to make sure zero is the same right before antelope opens and then field test them.Thanx MTRifleman,I have looked at the MRX,price has kept me from getting them but if they offer them in the 8mm I will probably load up a box for elk,that is where the rubber meets the road in my book,elk.When a BT or CT blow up on a doe antelope/MD its not nearly as crucial as on an elk where failed penetration will most likley result in lost game or a very long haul out from a nasty hole.I have killed elk,deer,antelope,coyote,ect with the untippe TSX and I have never seen anything but perfect terminal performance,IMO they are not as accurate at long range as the poly tipped bullets and that is why I chose them for this years deer/antelope.Thanx for the info guys.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member

425 yards

Antelope Doe taken at 777 yards. The Little buck was taken at 280 and both were with the 180 TSX