Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Truth and cheat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: Truth and cheat

A little off topic, but ATH, you seem to indicate that you get better results at 800-1000 from the WM vs. WSM.

I thought the two could be loaded to essentially the same performance levels, with the WSM being a little more efficient on powder?

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 11-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

With all of the new powder, bullet selections and development/testing that have been performed over the last 30 years the opening post just has no credence.

There are some that think a Desoto was the best automobile ever made-----it is always about being the best so with that being said -- rant over..
Old 11-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

Trshooter,

You need to sit down with some ballistic software and crunch some numbers. Though I believe if you knew how to do that you wouldn't have made such a silly post.

You mean I don't need 2,000 lb of energy at 1000 yards.......I guess I'll have to back up then.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
Although my 7STW is as accurate as all get out, it just doesn't seem to have enough ummph for whitetails at more than 200-300yds. I had a 300RUM built recently but if that doesn't do it than I'll move up to something with a little more power.

Shawn - how does that edge perform @ 500yds or so?
Hmmmm - thought my post would have gotten a rise out of him. :>)
Old 11-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trshooter View Post
Last word.... you don't need a 300 or a 338 caliber !!!! a 7mm Remington Magnum with a 168gr Berger Bullet at 3050 Fps retaine more velocity, energy and less drop at 1000 yds than a 300 RUM... it's a fact !!!!! it stand with a 338 Lapua at 1500 Yds...... no comment !

My 7mm RMs max out at ~1000-1100 yds based on diminished terminal velocity (loss of bullet expansion velocity) and therefore uncertain terminal performance - on big game animals. They're certainly more reliable killers at less than 900yd than at 1100 yd. Comparing them in effectiveness to a 338 Lapua at 1500 yds? That's unreal to the point I think you've crossed over in toothfairy land.

I'll give you this. The 7mm RM is a good performer for <900 yd hunting of big game. But if I spent the majority of my hunting efforts setting up to shoot big game at ranges >900 yds, I will select a cartridge with more HP at those ranges - I think you called them exotics. Truth is, some of them are plain-Jane factory loaded cartridges.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

When I read the OP, I thought to myself, ok, this guy is honestly trying to make a point--a biased one, but still. Unfortunately, the substance of the entire post is stoked with opinions and some facts. Plus, I HATE it when someone else tells others what they need or don't need.

If I want a 270 AM, or 338 Edge, or a 7mm Rem Mag, that's my business.

If we or the riflebuilders want to recommend a new hot shot caliber, that is our/their business and quite frankly it is an enthusiat forum, so no one is being cheated when they ask for opinions and get them.

If you see a thread where someone is asking for a caliber recommendation, feel free to respond with your opinion and experience, just like the rest of us, but I think it is rather silly that you think someone has been cheated or some caliber has been cheated....as if it has feelings.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
When I read the OP, I thought to myself, ok, this guy is honestly trying to make a point--a biased one, but still. Unfortunately, the substance of the entire post is stoked with opinions and some facts. Plus, I HATE it when someone else tells others what they need or don't need.

If I want a 270 AM, or 338 Edge, or a 7mm Rem Mag, that's my business.

If we or the riflebuilders want to recommend a new hot shot caliber, that is our/their business and quite frankly it is an enthusiat forum, so no one is being cheated when they ask for opinions and get them.

If you see a thread where someone is asking for a caliber recommendation, feel free to respond with your opinion and experience, just like the rest of us, but I think it is rather silly that you think someone has been cheated or some caliber has been cheated....as if it has feelings.
Trshooter

There is a lot of good advice in what every one is saying so I would recomend that
you pay attention to these guys .

I am a big fan of the 7 Rem mag "BUT I have many other calibres of rifles because
there is no (perfict one rifle for everything ) that exist.

The very best rifles are those that are purpose built for the type of game,terrain,
conditions most likely to be encountered day in and day out,average distance of
shots taken and even shooting position.

An example= If I were going to hunt white tail deer in east texas where it is very
thick with trees and brush and the longest shot would be 200 yrds almost any rifle
smaller than a 7 rem mag would work very well . But if I lived in Wyoming where
average shots are over 400 yrds and lots of wind I would consider a 300 mag a
minimum and the 338's about right.

There was a famous PH named Bell who used a 7/57 mauser to kill elephant. but
not wanting to end up as elephant toe jam I would not recomend any thing smaller
than a 416 for the tuskers,But if a person wants to use a smaller rifle then that
is his decision and responsiblity.

As some of the guys said we all try to recomend a calibre based on our experance
and I personally will never tell someone there is only one calibre that will work in
fact if you read enough post you will find that most recomend more than one based
on what the persons requirements were.

As to cheating: The only thing being cheated is the game if the wrong weapon is
used.

I'm not piling on Just though that you were uninformed and needed some direction.

J E CUSTOM