Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Trouble ranging small targets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 02:06 AM
Silver Member

Re: Trouble ranging small targets

You've already been given some sound advice, but ill repeat that your RF needs to be on some type of solid/stabel rest to range small objects at those distance with repeatable accuracy. I had the same problems with my Bushnell Fusion 1600's where I hunt (on a power line and a pipeline) I did a couple of things to fix my problem.

1.) Sold the Fusions
2.) Bought a Vectronix Terrapin (best gadget I've ever bought)
3.) Bought a small collapsable lightweight tripod

Problem solved. I can range deer now out to 1,100 yds with repeated accuracy 3-4 times in a row. I'm sure I could go farther, but that is as far as I can see on the pipeline. The tripod will collapse down low enough that i can have it eye level when im laying down prone on the rifle ready to shoot. Ranging is quick, easy, and accurate. Here is a pic of the setup.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Bronze Member

I just went out and tried this on some deer at 955 yards. I could not get a reading by just holding onto the RF. I put it on a Tripod and it worked every time. I also have the Leica 1600B model.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the help, it sounds like the tripod is the way to go. I have been resting it on a sturdy surface but I guess that is not steady enough. Any body out there have any homemade creations for holding a leica on a tripod? Thanks
Old 12-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

This place has exactly what you need and they are good people to do business with. They have a couple of different options for securing range finders to tripods. There are a couple they have that are not listed on thier site. Give them a call, it will be time well spent.

**click the "Store" tab to see all the products.

http://m.precisionriflesolutions.com...om%2Findex.htm
http://m.precisionriflesolutions.com...om%2Findex.htm
Old 12-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow View Post
Thanks for the help, it sounds like the tripod is the way to go. I have been resting it on a sturdy surface but I guess that is not steady enough. Any body out there have any homemade creations for holding a leica on a tripod? Thanks
Seems like FEENIX posted a picture of a tripod adapter for the Leica CRF not too long ago, might PM him.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
Seems like FEENIX posted a picture of a tripod adapter for the Leica CRF not too long ago, might PM him.
Yep, here it is ...

http://www.opticsspot.com/leica-crf-...ter-98750.aspx

A couple of weekends ago I was ranging muleys at 1800 yards with mine without a problem ... was laying down prone using my arms as a bipod and occasionally rest on my pack . During windy conditions, it's almost impossible to stabilize and get any readings.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.

Last edited by FEENIX; 12-02-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
A couple of weekends ago I was ranging muleys at 1800 yards with mine without a problem ... was laying down prone using my arms as a bipod and occasionally rest on my pack . During windy conditions, it's almost impossible to stabilize and get any readings.
FEENIX, Were you using a Leica 1600 or the newer 1600B ?

Either way, sounds like you've got quite a bit more powerful unit than I do. I have got some 1800 and 1900 yd readings, but they've only been on the sides of buildings. I have not been able to get deer at much over 1000 yds.