Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Triggers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

Jewell is pretty much the standard. A little more expensive but I am happy with them.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Bronze Member

+1 for jewell

I personally own both of these triggers and although the rifle basixs is a fine trigger, my money will have to go to the jewel. (money not an issue of course)
Old 03-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for all of the great replies! How well does the jewel work in cold weather? I am wanting to have the trigger set at right around the one pound can the jewel handle that low of a setting in the cold temps.

Levi
Old 03-04-2008, 11:44 PM
Gold Member

you bet your @ss it can. Just be careful in cold weather if you are wearing gloves.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:14 AM

Jewell triggers

Levi
A few years back I had a saying that "very few things in this world you could say that this is the best of. (Jewell triggers) but now I am not so sure." I own several, both hunting and benchrest models. Have not been happy with the last 2 that I purchased. Cannot get the slack out of them. Have called Jewell and had one of the guys walk me thru the adjustments to remove the slack. Never did get it out.
Set at less than a pound, slack is not a good thing for me. I cannot fault the benchrest triggers that I have, but I am not happy with the hunters model.
Being from Texas, and having known Arnold Jewell from being around him at benchrest shoots, I know that this problem was not around when he had the wheel at Jewell triggers. Not sure what the problem is, and I know that I am not the only one that says this.
My best triggers are older Jewells and a reworked rem trigger that was done by Nelson Berger. (It breaks at 16oz everytime, and is crisp as any Anschultz trigger you have ever felt)
I now rework my rem triggers myself only to 1 1/2 lbs, but without a trace of slack and 0 overtravel.
To quote an old benchrest friend of mine, "you cannot shoot 1/4" groups with a 3lb trigger". So we have to find a trigger that will do what we want. And that my be a Jewell or some other aftermarket trigger.
ddgo
Old 04-26-2008, 03:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgo View Post
Levi
A few years back I had a saying that "very few things in this world you could say that this is the best of. (Jewell triggers) but now I am not so sure." I own several, both hunting and benchrest models. Have not been happy with the last 2 that I purchased. Cannot get the slack out of them. Have called Jewell and had one of the guys walk me thru the adjustments to remove the slack. Never did get it out.
Set at less than a pound, slack is not a good thing for me. I cannot fault the benchrest triggers that I have, but I am not happy with the hunters model.
Being from Texas, and having known Arnold Jewell from being around him at benchrest shoots, I know that this problem was not around when he had the wheel at Jewell triggers. Not sure what the problem is, and I know that I am not the only one that says this.
My best triggers are older Jewells and a reworked rem trigger that was done by Nelson Berger. (It breaks at 16oz everytime, and is crisp as any Anschultz trigger you have ever felt)
I now rework my rem triggers myself only to 1 1/2 lbs, but without a trace of slack and 0 overtravel.
To quote an old benchrest friend of mine, "you cannot shoot 1/4" groups with a 3lb trigger". So we have to find a trigger that will do what we want. And that my be a Jewell or some other aftermarket trigger.
ddgo

Copy that. The Jewell I just put on my Model 700 is creepier than RuPaul.

I adjusted as it said in the instructions and when that didn't work played with it a bit but it's still creepy. I'll not be paying $200 for a trigger that has creep in it. Jewell will get it back. I originally purchased a Shilen but discovered that my safety won't transfer from an X-Mark to a Shilen so I had to upgrade to the Jewell. What a disappointment!

Any suggestions?
Old 05-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Bronze Member

Trigger

Has anyone tried the Kepplinger single set trigger. It's available for Remington 700 and I put one on my 300 Win Mag last year. My accuracy has improved tremendously.