Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Trigger timing, training, practice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Silver Member

Re: Trigger timing, training, practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vette View Post
Please note that due to the composition of the rubber, bedding a Hogue is just as bad if not worse than bedding the factory composite stock. I also like the feel of them, but only place them on my pistols, not my rifles.

The Timneys go on sale on occasion through Midway, or wait for a 10-15% off coupon.
Right on Dr. Thanks for the PM also!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
Just FYI,

I have a 25-06 BDL with the wood stock. I decided to try the Hogue full length aluminum bedded stock. I am glad that I did. I like the feel of it and it took my rifle from 1" groups to 1/2" groups. It is my go to gun for deer hunting out to 500 yards. It shoots 1/2 MOA all the way out to 500.

But to get the thread back on topic, without out trigger time and practice, it doesn't matter what stock or trigger you put on it. I am going to have to try the coin trick. Makes for a fun competition for yourself. Shooting is just like any other sport, if you don't practice, you lose what you have learned after a while and develop bad habits. I have people out on the range that are qualifying and shoot great when they frist come in but after a year or so, you see their scores get lower and lower because they are not practicing. Those good habits that they had at first get lost and bad habits take their place.
For sure Korhil! Practice is where it's at. Even half-hearted practice doesn't make perfect-------PERFECT practice makes perfect.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
Just FYI,

I have a 25-06 BDL with the wood stock. I decided to try the Hogue full length aluminum bedded stock. I am glad that I did. I like the feel of it and it took my rifle from 1" groups to 1/2" groups. It is my go to gun for deer hunting out to 500 yards. It shoots 1/2 MOA all the way out to 500.

But to get the thread back on topic, without out trigger time and practice, it doesn't matter what stock or trigger you put on it. I am going to have to try the coin trick. Makes for a fun competition for yourself. Shooting is just like any other sport, if you don't practice, you lose what you have learned after a while and develop bad habits. I have people out on the range that are qualifying and shoot great when they frist come in but after a year or so, you see their scores get lower and lower because they are not practicing. Those good habits that they had at first get lost and bad habits take their place.
With an emphasis on "proper practice".

If one is just a bundle of bad habits and continues to practice them, all you get is a shooter with deeply ingraned and well practiced bad habits.

As for the hogue, with that full length aluminum frame and bedding block you're right and they are just about fool proof. All that rubber also tends to naturally deaden much of the vibration as well.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:59 PM
Platinum Member

Bump.

Because this thread never gets old.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:15 AM
Silver Member

Just don't accidentaly do it at the range and forget to pull it out before you load a round. Yikes!

.338 Lapua Mag Catastrophic Kaboom within AccurateShooter.com

Sighting in your expensive new Deer Rifle - snopes.com
Old 05-08-2014, 09:26 AM
Silver Member

Main reason I bought my CZ 455 was simply to practice long range for cheap at short ranges. The drift of a .22 at 150 yards will teach you a ton about reading wind. There are no slippery high BC .22 bullets to compensate for a bad wind call. It makes shooting a 7mm VLD a piece of cake.

I have a similar Nikon Monarch on my little .22 as I do on my centerfire rifles. Same Nikoplex reticle with 2 MOA subtensions and same turrets with 12 MOA per revolution. Similar bolt and poundage setting on the triggers. Now if I could just find some more .22 ammo at reasonable prices.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Silver Member

Calling every shot.( dry firing or actual) really helps me.I like this thread.