Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Trigger timing, training, practice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 12:55 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Trigger timing, training, practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyonthewall View Post
RDM.....Please let us know how things progress once you decide to try it on oneof your LR sticks.

Dr. Vette.....that's a very interesting comparison and result. I also own a Vanguard that I'll be slowly turning into an LR gun. And yeah, the factory trigger is laughable. It will be receiving a Timney ASAP.

WildRose.....I had never even considered all the variables that occur AFTER the trigger breaks......scratches chin....hmm.

So if I'm understanding correctly, one would actually WANT a lot of over-travel in the trigger in an effort to have the trigger break "in mid-stride" so to speak?
That's how most of the BR guys like them.

If I have a trigger that breaks super clean I either want zero over travel or open it wide up.

If you have a super smooth, clean breaking, very light trigger, there's no acceleration to the point of impact so it's not a big deal.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Silver Member

Ahhhh I see. Thanks for all the explaining. Looks like my perfectionism has found a home here....lol. I guess ya have to have a little perfectionism in ya to shoot accurately at long ranges anyway. :~)

And now for something completely different:

Does anyone do any specific practicing drills?

There are drills used in just about every pursuit that requires accuracy. So in our shooting, it seems that drills that focus on specific aspects would be more beneficial that simply laying down and firing round after round.

Anyone do any specific drills?
Old 11-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ahhhh I see. Thanks for all the explaining. Looks like my perfectionism has found a home here....lol. I guess ya have to have a little perfectionism in ya to shoot accurately at long ranges anyway. :~)

There are drills used in just about every pursuit that requires accuracy. So in our shooting, it seems that drills that focus on specific aspects would be more beneficial that simply laying down and firing round after round.

Like I suggested previously you can use a snap cap and a bore sight laser.

Put the laser on a target at say a hundred yards and squeeze. If it moves off of the bull'seye even slightly, you need work.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Silver Member

Where's the forum's "Thank You" button when you need it?....lol..............^

There's drill #1 that I'll be incorporating soon.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I have a year round drill that utilizes my 22LR, Savage TR that is weighted and set up very similar to my hunting rifles and shoot year round several times / week. I have a huge population of pests on my property, red squirrels, chipmunks, starlings, and woodchucks. My shooting area right out my door is a combination of rock walls, field, and wooded area that allows shots from 20 to 100 yards. My relative scope settings are set to simulate LR hunting conditions with my big game rigs. For example, at scope setting of 6x, shooting difficulty to hit a chipmunk in the vitals with an 8 MPH, 3o'clock wind at 70 yards is a relative approximation to a 900 yard shot on a deer sized animal. Ranging, elevation setting, wind dope, shooting skills, shooting rest, choice of load, and ballistics knowlege, are all critical factors. Every miss is analyzed. I have found this to be the best drill for me and it has really helped my big game hunting. I know it's not exactly the same but it's sure exercises the same skills to make a successful shot.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Silver Member

Awesome Greyfox!! I don't have the luxury of so many varmints here, but there are squirrels that I love to hunt and coyotes. So I'm already working on those, just not as much as I need to be.

But what you say makes all the sense in the world and I will be looking forward to chasing more small critters at extended ranges.

Thank you.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I have a year round drill that utilizes my 22LR, Savage TR that is weighted and set up very similar to my hunting rifles and shoot year round several times / week. I have a huge population of pests on my property, red squirrels, chipmunks, starlings, and woodchucks. My shooting area right out my door is a combination of rock walls, field, and wooded area that allows shots from 20 to 100 yards. My relative scope settings are set to simulate LR hunting conditions with my big game rigs. For example, at scope setting of 6x, shooting difficulty to hit a chipmunk in the vitals with an 8 MPH, 3o'clock wind at 70 yards is a relative approximation to a 900 yard shot on a deer sized animal. Ranging, elevation setting, wind dope, shooting skills, shooting rest, choice of load, and ballistics knowlege, are all critical factors. Every miss is analyzed. I have found this to be the best drill for me and it has really helped my big game hunting. I know it's not exactly the same but it's sure exercises the same skills to make a successful shot.
Nothing beats live fire practice.

I spend the summers shooting the heads of of pond turtles in tanks where they are over populated. That can be a real challenge with open sights and targets that present 1/4"-1/2" opportunities.

I was thinking in terms though of "drills" for guys that don't get the same kind of opportunities for practice folks like you and I have.