Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Trigger timing, training, practice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

Trigger timing, training, practice

We talk a lot here off and on about trigger control and ways to practice.

I was changing the batteries in the laser on one of my glocks last night when something dawned on me.

One can get a lot of very good practice in by bying a cheap laser and mounting it on the end of the barrel of your rifle.

Make a few pencil dots on some butcher paper or poster board and set them up at varying ranges.

Set yourself up in your shooting position put the laser on one of those dots, and squeeze. Try to keep the laser from moving off of the dot... .

Cheap practice, no ammo needed, and you dont' even have to leave the back yard. I've done it for years with the pistols and simply never thought about moving it to a rifle.

Even a cheap laserlyte bore sighting laser would suffice.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Trigger timing, training, practice

This is from another thread where the subject of breathing control came up.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark
Range it, dope it, dial it, breathe, hold, squeeze the trigger, watch bullet strike target threw scope!

Load 175grain VLDs in your 308 and shoot them as far as you can see.
Actually exhale slowly and naturally and relax.

Time your squeeze for the shot to go off when you hit that max relax point in the exhale.

That point is somewhere between half and 3/4 of the way through exhaling.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

With long range shooting steadiness and trigger control are much bigger factors than at short range even things like your heart rat and how hard it is pounding can have a significant effect on the shot so relaxation really is critical.

I've noticed myself at times over the years when trying to get on a target after great exertion that my heart beat alone can cause a jump of Several MOA from the desired Aim Point.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

At long distances your breathing and heart rate play a big factor in how accurate you are going to be. That is why it is so important to dry fire a lot so that you can time your shot at your most calm moment.

In training, I was taught that the natural respitory pause between breathes is when you should take the shot. If you take a deep breathe and then slowly let it out, when that last little bit of CO2 is pushed out, you will notice that you come to a really calm point when you can feel your heart beating. Everything is still in your body except for your heart. That is when you can time your shot. That is if you have time but at long distances, you usually do have time in a hunting situation.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
At long distances your breathing and heart rate play a big factor in how accurate you are going to be. That is why it is so important to dry fire a lot so that you can time your shot at your most calm moment.

In training, I was taught that the natural respitory pause between breathes is when you should take the shot. If you take a deep breathe and then slowly let it out, when that last little bit of CO2 is pushed out, you will notice that you come to a really calm point when you can feel your heart beating. Everything is still in your body except for your heart. That is when you can time your shot. That is if you have time but at long distances, you usually do have time in a hunting situation.
That's the point I'm talking about. You can still push more air out if you try, about 1/4 more of your lung volume, but if you just relax and exhale naturally without forcing it, just before you begin to inhale there is a point of maximum relaxation of the daiphram and your chest muscles.

Thanks for helping to explain it better.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

I am mostly a pistol shooter. I have hunted most of my life but just got into the long range shooting aspect with rifles in the last 2 years or so. Same principles apply with a pistol as with a rifle though. You have to be smooth on that trigger, you have to focus on that front sight and you have to keep breathing. A lot of people get that last one wrong. They hold their breath while trying to shoot. It's bad with both the rifle and pistol. After a while, your vision gets blurry because that is the first thing that starts to go when you have a lack of oxygen in the body, that and dexterity.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
I am mostly a pistol shooter. I have hunted most of my life but just got into the long range shooting aspect with rifles in the last 2 years or so. Same principles apply with a pistol as with a rifle though. You have to be smooth on that trigger, you have to focus on that front sight and you have to keep breathing. A lot of people get that last one wrong. They hold their breath while trying to shoot. It's bad with both the rifle and pistol. After a while, your vision gets blurry because that is the first thing that starts to go when you have a lack of oxygen in the body, that and dexterity.
Yep and you'll start to shake pretty badly as well.

It really is hard to teach people to just relax and let it flow.