Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Trigger pull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Trigger pull

I've standardized the trigger pull weight of all my rifles, except for 3, at 1 pound. From the .22 l. r.'s to the .375 H & H. The only exceptions are my Hunter class silhouette rifles, which by rule must meet a 2 lb. trigger pull weight minimum, and my AR-15 which uses a Timney trigger factory set at 3 lbs.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Silver Member

Ok now the next question is how difficult are they to change out or would it be better to have a gunsmith do it??? I took the gun appart the other day to look at the stock trigger and it didn't look like it would be that hard of a job. Would save me alot of money too. The 1.5 pound nickle plated timney trigger is $ 135 bucks. I want to eventually be able to shoot out to 1000 yards and I felt I would not be able to do it with the 3lb trigger I had.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird63 View Post
Ok now the next question is how difficult are they to change out or would it be better to have a gunsmith do it??? I took the gun appart the other day to look at the stock trigger and it didn't look like it would be that hard of a job. Would save me alot of money too. The 1.5 pound nickle plated timney trigger is $ 135 bucks. I want to eventually be able to shoot out to 1000 yards and I felt I would not be able to do it with the 3lb trigger I had.
It's not too difficult on your remington. Just knock the two pins out and put in the Timney. The pins are usually tapered on one end so check that out and reinstall them the same way.......Rich
Old 04-13-2010, 01:45 PM
SPONSOR

My big game rifles are set to 2.5/3lbs. I figure if I can't shoot with a crisp pull in that range, it's probably not the trigger, it's me. My varmunt rifles are set lower, but, my target is smaller and I'll shoot at varmints further away than I will at big game animals. Unless your mind is firmly made up on the Timney look into the Shilen Std. trigger. If a guy isn't spending the money on a Jewell, it's the next best thing, IMHO. You have to move the safety lever from the Rem. trigger to the Shilen. The catch is, the safety lever from the Rem. X-Pro trigger won't work with the Shilen Std. trigger. just my 2 cents
Old 04-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Miller Outdoors

I find around 2.5 lbs just about right for all-around hunting.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

IMHO, anything to do with a trigger I would have done by a qualified smith. Even if it's only a change out it's best to have a qualified snith give a once over. Not sure what you considered expensive but, to me it's a relatively inexpensive amount for my safety and piece of mind...Don't want the gun to go bang when it ain't supposed to or not go bang when it should. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:13 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
IMHO, anything to do with a trigger I would have done by a qualified smith. Even if it's only a change out it's best to have a qualified snith give a once over. Not sure what you considered expensive but, to me it's a relatively inexpensive amount for my safety and piece of mind...Don't want the gun to go bang when it ain't supposed to or not go bang when it should. Just my 2 cents.
+++111 f/Chas1 ! I've seen some scary stuff over the years. $45/$65 is cheap for safety, and, it will be gaged not guessed at for pull weight. You might even get it done for less.