Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Townsend MT. Shoot Cancelled

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Gold Member

Re: Townsend MT. Shoot Cancelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Enjoy that!! My good buddy told me last night his 600 acres of hay is so dry he will only be cutting about 1/2 or less of it. This is first cutting and 1/2 of it wont make enough hay to buy the diesel fuel. Pretty sad deal for sure.

Jeff
We are running about 30% of normal yield on first cutting - that may be the good news compared to 2nd cutting if we don't get any more rain.

Right now we have about a gazillion little tiny grasshoppers per square foot of space - hope them suckers never grow up. If we don't get burned out or dried out looks like we're going to get eaten out of any grass at all this year.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

Guys, I want your opinions and help here. I am struggling with this. It continues to be dry here. The range is pretty darn rocky. I want to hold the last shoot of the season (Sat 11th) but not sure what to do. So what do you think? Who and how many would attend? Would you be willing to toss in a shovel and be ready to deal with a fire if we had one? I need to make a decission very soon. It sure doesn't look like rain will be comming and it would take a big one to make any difference at all. Give me your thoughts please.

Jeff
Old 08-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

I'm going with the its too dry and hot to enjoy shooting, or much of anything else that is done outdoors. geez I hate that.

Last week one day made it to only 87*. I got a lot done that day.

Though I'd love to attend, its not in the books this time.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

Probably would not make much difference. But if we do shoot I will start earlier. A little cooler surface temps and maybe a hint of dew couldnt hurt. Not to mention it would make it a little easier on the shooters too.

Jeff
Old 08-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

It's rough Jeff, Jason and I had a spark of a gong the other evening and it kinda concerned me. We've been shooting as soon as we have enough light to shoot in the mornings on the weekends but we're done by 8:00. I just got back from putting out a little hot spot on a 500 thousand dollar combine.
I don't think I can make it, 2nd cutting is early and combining is in full effect and everyone has my cell on on super panic speed dial

The elk are already hitting the hay fields cause it's so dry, usually it does not happen till the end of bow season but I bet there are 1200 head down by the first of bow season this year, the deer are all low so it could really be hard this year!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Gold Member

Broz: went through Townsend last Saturday on the way to a wedding up in helena. Besides that wonderful road construction south of Townsend and the 2 jack rabbits I saw packing canteens I would say you guys can't get much drier. As much as I like to shoot I haven't popped a cap in over a month and I think you guys are even drier than down here in the Billings area. I'd be real cautious in doing much shooting - if anything ever set something off you'd be darn lucky to hold it back. Next 10 days going to be in mid/upper 90's and the ag radio said this morning no relief showing clear thru end of Aug.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Ok, I hate to do it guys but I think it is everyones best interest to pull the plug.

The last long range shoot of the year scheduled for this Saturday the 11th of Aug. is cancelled due to fire risk.

Thanks to all that came this year. It was fun and I enjoyed shooting with all of you.

Jeff