Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Total confusion and question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2003, 06:24 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Re: Total confusion and question...

I use the Stoney Point Gauge myself.. what exactly is the split case method.. I think I know but, maybe I don't know.. ya know??? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2003, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Probably what you're thinkin. Take a neck sized case and split the neck vertically from the mouth to the shoulder body junction with a dremmel and a cutoff wheel or hack saw then deburr. The dremmel works best. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If you seat the bullet a little long and close the bolt on it all the way, it gives perfect tension on the bullet and takes two or three times to verify the reading is consistant to the thou. Takes about a minute. I take a measurement off the ogive and use the exact same bullet with the measurement wrote on it for keeping track of any throat errosion. I log the tip and ogive measurements in a notebook as well as on the dummy round I make up with that bullet for setting up the seating die later on.

Old 04-27-2003, 07:23 AM
Silver Member

Huh.?! Who.?! What.?? I saw my name up top.. What'd I do this time.?? Hehehe... d:^) JiNC