Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Took most the season but elk down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Gold Member

Took most the season but elk down

Well as many of the Montanans know elk hunting has taken a huge turn for the worst in the last 5+ years. The wolves have dropped our elk population to slim pickin's. Last years was rough and this year was even worse!

I can honestly say I seen less than 50 elk this whole season and that's pushing it. Most in groups of 2 or 3 and a few groups between 5-12 head. Most through the spotting scope at a mile plus right before dusk.

I finally found a group of 3 cows bedded down in some thick timber from a ridge top through my spotting scope at well over a mile. I had about 1:30 hours before end of shooting light to make two large ridges that were between us. I packed everything back into my backpack and off I went. I made it to where there was one last ridge between us and they had started feeding up the ridge away from me. I ranged them and we were at 1184 yards. Conditions were unusually perfect not a breath of wind and 30*. But due to the shortage of elk I'd seen this season and how late it was in the day I made the decision not to take any chances and close the gap a little.

As I made it to the top if my final ridge I couldn't pick them out. Nothing.... I was starting to worry they had feed them selfs over the ridge. Just then I picked one on the cows walking across a very small opening just down from the sky line.

I dropped down, set up my rifle, ranged her at 712 yards, checked my slope at 5*, and no wind. Went to grab my calculator to get an adjustment and nothing... I had left it in the truck that morning.. I figured with 5* slope if I adjusted to 700 yard on my turret it'd be money! I adjusted and got ready for the shot, nothing but a hind end left in the opening but the head of another cow was working her way into the opening I double checked range and it was the same. She worked into the opening but was quartering away hard!

I tucked the crosshairs right behind her front left shoulder at a hard quartering away shot and sent it away. She dumped like a ton of bricks, I followed her as she was sliding down through the bottom of the opening without even a twitch of movement.

I hightailed it over there and made it to her just before end of shooting light. Then the work all started.

Bullet placement was absolutely perfect, right where I sent it behind the left front shoulder and it exited through the base of the neck right side. Taking out the top of the heart and destroying her neck/spine.

After the two buddies who came up to help get her out, the elk and I made it back to the truck I checked my calculator it see how close I was with my adjustment call... Perfect!! All the practice pays off that's for sure!

Rifle is a custom 300 ultra mag pushing 230gr Berger Targets.

Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Took most the season but elk down-image.jpg  

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 12-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Gold Member

Re: Took most the season but elk down

Great post and shot! Good decision on the range and corrections. Congratulations on a very tough hunting season. How did you like the 230 Target on your elk?
Old 12-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

That'll eat, congratulations on the meat the the shot!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Gold Member

Absolutely sold!! I was kind of nervous using the 230 Targets on game but without a doubt an excellent choice! The amount of shock this bullet released on the elk is absolutely crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
Great post and shot! Good decision on the range and corrections. Congratulations on a very tough hunting season. How did you like the 230 Target on your elk?

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 12-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mag_guy View Post
Absolutely sold!! I was kind of nervous using the 230 Targets on game but without a doubt an excellent choice! The amount of shock this bullet released on the elk is absolutely crazy.
For long tissue distances with an elk I would agree. Like any bullet shot placement is critical. Again, good job and it sounds like a fun hunt.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

Well done!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Nicely done. It'll be good to get some meat in the freezer!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl