Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Today's Montana Hunting Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2006, 08:50 PM
Silver Member

Today\'s Montana Hunting Pics

Went out today to chase some cagey whitetails that inhabit the area pictured. I know that you're thinking there aren't any whitetails in that country but there's a creek bottom which is not pictured. It was almost windy enough to knock me over and I'm a pretty solid dude.

While trying to keep on my feet in the wind I glassed a bunch of open terrain, didn't see anything until I was about fed up with the wind: these guys popped out:

I could have probably hit him with a rock if it wasn't so damn windy.

I have what's known as acute itchy trigger finger syndrome. In years past it has caused me to take any somewhat respectable animal that I think might taste decent. Not this year! I have hunted hard day in and day out, passing on several whitetails, some of which I'm starting to feel like I'm going to regret in about a week.

After I left that windswept area I went to a more densely forested area, an area more typical of western Montana. I saw no less than 5 bucks today. Two were on private property, two were decent bucks chasing each other around in circles, and one, the shooter, came right in to my rattling... Came right in behind me! I didn't hear him or anything, just glanced over my shoulder to see him exit in a flash.

I know this is a long range kind of place but if you've ever been in western MT you know things are thick, so thick that I have missed opportunities because my scope is too powerful. Unless you have access to private property, finding a good place to take a long shot on a whitetail is difficult to do. I don't really like sitting in the woods waiting over one little patch of meadow, or watching one hillside. But that's the best way I've figured out how to do it. Hopefully a picture of a good buck on the ground will follow. Cheers.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:21 PM

Re: Today\'s Montana Hunting Pics

Troutslayer,
Great pics! I've been hunting whitetails up in the Swan lately, which is just about as thick as it can get, but I've found myself a nice little clearing in the middle of it. Shots to 300 straightaway, or 450 to the right and 150 to the left from where I'm sitting. I'd rather be up and moving, but I too have found that planting my butt and watching is the way to get 'er done. Not much action this past weekend, but things should start heating up here directly! This next week I have off from work, so you know where I'll be. Good luck to you!
TB
Old 11-29-2006, 02:20 AM
Bronze Member

Nice pic's, wish it was me out there!

Brian Anchorage, Alaska
Old 11-29-2006, 08:18 AM
Silver Member

Nice buck. I am going back next year and every year I can .