Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Tips when shooting off a bipod???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2004, 08:27 AM
Silver Member

Re: Tips when shooting off a bipod???

I use a level only to irritate a certain gunsmith in my shooting club. Who knows? Maybe it'll give me an edge someday... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2004, 08:59 AM

I know we have shot together and I gave some of your advise thought... but damn if those things don't work... Until that certain gunsmiths come our here to shoot with ya and proves me wrong I gotta go with the thing [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2004, 10:13 AM
Writers Guild

Fergus, this is how I am doing it over the hood of my truck. First, you must have the bipod that will incline - rifle must be as level as possible.

I don't use a rear rest figuring that time is the big issue. I hold the stock in front of the action with my left hand and rest the elbow on the hood. I put a fair amount of downward pressure on the stock or it bounces like crazy. The right hand is in the thumbhole stock and pulls firmly into the shoulder.

Because the rifle also has a muzzle brake, the recoil is quite mild. I do get to spot most of my shots from 300yds out. This is important to me as I want to know where I hit the target or animal.

I would prefer not to use a bipod at all. If you could make a big bean bag, that would be much more stable and the bouncing would be gone. There is a company making them in the shape of an X and the rifle sits in one of the X cradles. Very good idea. However, not as field portable or useful as a bipod.

Jerry
Old 09-24-2004, 10:29 AM
Bronze Member

Hi gang, new to this board. I have shot many a prarie dog and a few coyotes off of a swivel bipod. I indeed use a "Scopelevel". Also, in lieu of using the springlock, on the lower legs of extendable bipods, I use the compression lock. This will make the legs a bit more stabile IMHO. The three leg 25" Harris bipod is my favorite for calling coyotes. I am not an overly large person and it allows for good shooting angles. Hope this helps!
Old 09-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Silver Member

Welcome aboard, MTGunner.

I'm addicted to poppin' pasture poodles myself. Great practice for the speed goats!

Take care and good shootin'.

~Holmes
Old 09-24-2004, 04:12 PM
Silver Member

Guys

Thanks for all the input. I will try as much of this as I can.

Fergus
Old 09-24-2004, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

Aussie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Where are you at ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In Melbourne. I have been over to compete at Jarahdale the last 3 years.

Fergus