Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

That time of year again - Colorado hunt planning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2003, 05:03 PM
*WyoWhisper*

Re: That time of year again - Colorado hunt planning

Well.. not exactly from the back porch but very close only about a 15 min ride/hike...anyone welcome!!

I do have several LR deer spots within.. 15 min. to only 1.5 hour ride...

I always new the greenies wanted to hunt in Wyo.. now this proves it.... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

remember . just a joke....
Old 03-12-2003, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

Of course we want to come to Wyoming. Seems like we have done to good a job hunting down here and now need to go up to Wyoming where you still have plenty of critters - although many of them are gun shy from all those residents missing. I figure we need to come up there and show you how its done!

"15 min. to only 1.5 hour ride..."
15 minute ride on Dusty, 1.5 hour ride on an average mule, 15 minute ride on the "amazing" Jolene?
Remember, just a joke...

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2003, 06:20 PM
*WyoWhisper*

Well in all honesty, Your right, 15 min ride for Dusty.. I was giving everyone else time to blow, water, rest, blow, rest ... and then walk... I figured since I'd get there early I have the hand warming fire going and a pot of coffee on...

truth of the matter is.. Colo. got greedy and let anyone buy a tag.. most of the "good" hunting is on private land....
truth?? umm most likely right???

"although many of them are gun shy from all those residents missing"

exactly why I have do do it from long range .... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2003, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

Awww boys, bring them critters up here! We got us a couple of little "runs" up here that just might settle this argument! They go about 125 miles non-stop, winner take all. And since I have growed up on horse ranches, me whole durn life, i reckon i can be a little bit of a judge. Just one of them little ol' ranch's had over 500 head. Thouro-bred racing stock. Some purty good ones, too. The cheapest oldest mare on the place was insured for just 10,000 smakers, on accuont that she was so durn old. When folks get together and talk about horse flesh, it kind of brings a twinkle to my eyes. Yea, they been around a few head, but i been around a few thousand. Me 'ol pa was a jockey in some of them dern Kaly-forn-ia race tracks, and i grew up helping him break them lovely animals. Best time in my life. Thats the thing with this durn internet, you don't know who might be reading what cha wrote! Funny thing though, there is a couple of little gals that seem to do all the winning of them races. And ol slymule will like this part, they mosly use mules! HA HA! No harm done, and i kinda like this thread. Have a brother in Idaho that raises mules too. yea, thats right, he don't have no sense either! Hope this gets you guys'es blood to boilin, like i said, its a good thread! littletoes.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

Wyo, there is some truth to what you say.
The best hunting is in any area with good habitat and where access is regulated. Some areas access is regulated because of private land, but most are regulated because they are limited draw areas or just plain hard to get to.
We have horses so we can hunt every year on public land in places 95 percent of the people won't go into, or have the sense not to kill something when they do get in there.
To have the best odds of killing a real trophy bull, it takes a lot of preference points (the reason this thread started) so you can get into a trophy area.
A 300 plus class bull can absolutely be killed in other areas, but the odds are not as high.
Personally I like the idea of hunting every year, having the chance to kill a raghorn without too much effort, and having the opportunity to kill a trophy if I work at it. Bottom line is hunting every year for me.
I do wish Colorado closed off a few more areas to make them a bit better for trophies To support your claim, I will be going to Wyoming this fall to kill an antelope. Cannot even reliably draw a doe antelope tag in Colorado each year.
Maybe elk in Co are like antelope on Wyo.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:40 PM
*WyoWhisper*

Me personally I just play love songs on the cow call for the rag horns.. to tell the truth I have called in more Bulls and let them walk than most sane men would have. I just like the challenge of beating them on their turf..
One of these days I'll find the right bull. I called in a 360+ class bull for my buddy Chip this year... one more 1/2 step and he was ours.... at only 30 or so feet...
then we arrowed a 300 -320 class bull but 'ole griz got that one....
the thrill for me is getting them within 30 yards... thats the rush...

Where ya hunting speed goats in Wyo???

Rumor has it there are a couple of flatlanders from this board joining me and my guide partners here in Wyo...for speed goats and desert mulies
I figured they do so much braggin about whitetail this and whitetail that.. I'd show them what this l o n g r a n g e stuff is really about...
I'm gonna make them dig 4" sleeping beds and cover it with the campfire coals and get them up and 3:30 a.m. just cause I can. Then make 'em hump 50 lbs of equipment 10 miles through the deserts of Wyo.. only to tell them .. we were walking in the wrong direction... and were gonna have to spend the night on the flats with the Yotes and snakes... then if I can remember, we might get back to camp in 2 days... But I think I would be able to remember better if one of them would give me one of there rifles to have.. that would make me think so much better.... and faster.... a man can think faster holding a custom super dooper LR rifle...

Do you think I should tell them that there are really BIG cats in Wyo......

here kitty kitty kitty... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

just kidding boys..

the wolves will get ya long before the BIG cats....

wooooo hoo were gonna have fun..... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2003, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

Going to area 5 for speed goats. Have a friend of a friend who has a ranch up in the foothills of the Black Hills. They have a nice place with elk, mulies, whitetails and speed goats.
I am just getting a doe tag (sent app today) so I can get some good meat, burn some powder and have some fun. It should be a killing hunt, but new areas and new friends are always fun. I should be setup to kill at 800 by then too, but we will see how practice goes.

I would not tell them about the big mountain kitties that have been know to track a man, or those griz that like white meat with camo and orange frosting. If they see one, just tell them that is "purring" they hear. And if you are guiding them and have a liability waiver, be sure to have a "Dangerous animal" clause that includes mules and llamas. Put that right after the small print about Wyoming soil being rich in rare nutrients that causes antlers to shrink when the critter hits the ground [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]