close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

That time of year again - Colorado hunt planning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-10-2003, 09:29 PM

Re: That time of year again - Colorado hunt planning

hey tex-
no doubt about it mules can take you where you want to go and like i said in my first post, i have worked with mules before. i am not opposed to them.
you know and i know this isnt between you and i and in fact i am not in the middle of it but... just trying to point out some points.
in ref. to your gunsmoke comment - HI OLE' SILVER. just tv cant say i believe everything.

Unread 03-10-2003, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quite Hunter

I'm not an "athority" on the horse, mule thing at all.
I am just enjoying the jabbing going back and forth concerning them by you guys.

I have not been in a saddle near as much as you fellows. Have packed out elk with horses and mules and pulled a bear out with a mule.
That mule didn't like that bear back there, I can tell you. That's about it for me and my horsemanship.

I enjoy hearing about all of you fellows experiance's in the mountains, on your animals.

later
DC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-10-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Unread 03-10-2003, 10:42 PM

Slymule: From what I saw when I visited Ric, (WyoWhisper) I would say that what he does for a living is: Ranching, wrangling, plumbing, babysitting, walking, teaching, psychology, shooting, cleaning, problem solving, driving, feeding, (People and animals) and a whole lot more...AKA, He runs a guest ranch!

As to the horse VS mule thing? I'm preferable to horses, but I've never ridden a mule, so I guee my vote doesn't count. A friend of mine has a couple of show-jumpers, though, which I occasionally care for and get to take out every once in a while. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Unread 03-11-2003, 12:45 AM
Silver Member

QuietHunter,
If you'll stop insulting my mule by calling her a "freak of nature" and insulting me by calling me "slowmule", I'll promise not to push you off a cliff when we go riding. Otherwise, you might want to ride behind me a ways - you never know a guy my age could go into a seizure and I might accidently push you off a rim or something. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Texas,
Nope, I'm not the Marshall out of Dodge City, but I've got kin there. And if I had to ride a mule as ugly as the one Festus rode, why I'd probably still be riding a horse. The difference between Jolene and the mule Festus rode is probably as close as the resemblance between QuietHunter and the Marlboro man - ie. NOT CLOSE AT ALL !! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
I can see your a man of high intelligence just because of who your wanting to put your money on. And to answer your question, no my wife doesn't get jealous of Jolene during hunting season because she's right out there hunting with me. Hunting is a family thing so when I go so does the wife and our two boys ages 4 and 6. When we pulled up camp last year we had over 2 foot of snow on the ground at camp. The snow was waist deep to them boys and they were having a blast!

hunt724,
Your right we should probably both be beat with a horse whip....but nothing like a friendly little wager to bring out the testosterone in us guys! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Elwood,
Since your preference is to horses, your right....your vote doesn't count, especially since you've never rode a good mule. GET BACK ELWOOD, GET BACK!!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Unread 03-11-2003, 08:13 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Hmmm

well, I gotta stop it here.. i re-read the posts.. i may have started this.. but it was only a friendly comments to get a chuckle from Slymule.. but he took it personal.. then it evolved into a challenge .. which I enjoy....
I figure Slymule to be about 33 yrs old.. he said he's going into the law enforcement academy he has to be under 35.. Well thats my background,ex job.. been there done that... if he makes it through.. he won't have much time to be making such wild ***** bets or wagers... but he's young like me so pride gets in the way.

so lets get to the point....

this started out as talking about the hills and mountains so I will be the first ( or maybe just the one with the biggests nuts )
I refuse to do all the play $hit with the horses and mules.. it doesn't prove how good they are in the hills... if this is gonna be a bet on Asses and horses lets keep it where it counts .. in line with hunting and gettin us to hunting areas..
Slymule.. good attempt at tipping the tables in your favor.. but I gotta tell you polocross ain't got nothing to do with hunting on a mule.. sure your Mule may be adgile and fast but you yourself said you don't like anything fast while hunting...

you said you use animals to pack into the mountains well you pack your mules ( see plural ) and I'll pack my horses and we'll go up a hill and add some distance... after all thats what you do while hunting right.. we'll make sure there is a creek or two so you can jump it.. ( which any good horseman knows is just asking for a wreck )but you pride yourself that your mules can jump.. well my ponies can jump too...

keep it real and to do with hunting on an animal and I'll take your bet....

One condition.. it has to be after my seasons... Guest Ranch and Guiding..

I see that your a stay at home parent ( I admire that, kids are our future ) and you may be a law enforcemnt officer after the acadamy..( I respect that .. I did it ) so YOU HAVE ALOT OF TIME NOW.... well I don't, and it pissed me off to see you used that as me backing out.. but I am over it...

When I have the time.. we'll pick a place...

Elwood knows as do many others .. I'm busy from now to Nov.
See 724 said it best and I have to thank him.. when it gets right down to it... if it wern't for horses.. you ain't got a ride ..

remember this is a friendly thing now.. sense of humor is a good thing....

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Unread 03-11-2003, 09:44 AM
Silver Member

My apoligies Mr. Mule. I really meant "Freak of Nature" as a sort of compliment, but I can see how you might not have taken it that way. Just with all of the bragging you have been doing I really thought Jolene must be a very exceptional mule - maybe one with more horse genes than ass.
Freudian slip on my part on typing in your name incorrectly. I was just thinking about how you like to ride slow in the mountains.

Off Topic, but if you want to see an impressive freak of nature, go to the Mini Warrior Classic this weekend and watch my nephew wrestle. Never seen an 8 year old as powerful and athletic as he is.
Unread 03-11-2003, 04:28 PM
Silver Member

Come on guys nobodys gettin' bent out of shape here - at least I'm not and hopefully you aren't either. ****, I don't even care if we have a bet or not. I figure my mules don't have anything to prove and as far as I'm concerned they only have to please me as I'm the one feeding them.

**All this has been as far as I'm concerned is having a little fun with you boys and giving you a ribbing, then acting like I've been insulted so I'd have an excuse to issue a little challenge to the both of you. I just wanted to see if you'd go to backpeddling your way out of it or not.** [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Lighten up guys - lifes too short to get bent out of shape. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

WyoWhisper,
Bad guess on your part, wish I was still 33-35yrs. old. This summer while I'm in the academy I'll turn 49 [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] , bummer huh? Spent the last 6 years being a stay at home dad and before that the last 20 years in the gas and oil field. Well the boys are starting school so its time for me to get back to work and I wanted to do something completely different in the way of work. So my big plan is put myself thru the police academy then try and get on with the Sheriffs' department. I've spent the last month and a half working out and running so those young guys in the academy don't make me look so bad. ****, I'm damn near a hardbody again! AND I FEEL GOOD!!!

And besides getting ready to start in the academy, we've got the place on the market trying to sell it so we can buy more land and I can act as a general contractor and build another place - my wife seems to think I've got alot of spare time on my hands. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
In all reality I don't have alot of time on my hands either, although I would really like to win a new action! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

We might just have to figure out something else.........like......since my feelings have been hurt.........WyoWhisper lets me come out next year and shoot a 30" buck from his back porch. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]