close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

That time of year again - Colorado hunt planning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-10-2003, 03:54 PM
*WyoWhisper*

Re: That time of year again - Colorado hunt planning

No No No No.. I ain't backin out..

but common I coulda set up any scenerio to make us look abad too... Of course it looks like I'm backing out.. but I ain't .. If you understood my business you'd know it was a bad time.. or maybe you DID know and thats why you said it....

NEVER, NEVER said I'm using a Mustang .. I just said we have one in training that is truely exceptional!! and give me a year or so in the hills with her and we'll play for "pink slips".. what ya think... yup you readit right.. thats how much confidence I got in this mare...

I do feel very confident about the endurance... and the jumping.. not sure why the 25 or 50 yards in necessary.. quick speed really doens't come into play while hunting.. not for me anyway.. but hey I'm game...
I too have a fat and happy horse. I keep them that way for the winter. Most guys do...
I have never had the opportunity nor the necessity to shoot off of a horse .. and I have been in most situations including 2 Grizzly charges within seconds....
You may have and exceptional mule...did you train her?? Just curious... Do you know Jake Clark???

I never played polocross and not sure that's fair game for an animal who hasn't been playing it...

Wanna try some reined cow horse events??? Does your mule go down the fence...just curious.

What I do know is any event in the mountains I will put my horse through.. he's been there and done it.. and if we go to the mountians.......

PACK A FREAKIN'LUNCH.. cause you ain't gonna win anything real easy.. WOOOO HOOO

Here's another twist.. How about we bring 3-5 animals a piece and keep track.. cause most of mine will do all that it takes to go to the hills..or maybe pack 2 and ride one then switch them every 10 miles for 30 miles and see who comes out at the end... see thay all get the same training so you can jump on just about anything I have and go to work..I just have 2 personal horses that I ride.. I just started another one as Dusty is gettin pretty old.. and if I told you how old, you'd just say I was making another excuse so I won't ....

glad to see you have a sense of humor.. you need one around me .. just ask any of my friends....

But we gotta be fair.. I honestly don't have the time to be goin anywhere for the weekend or during the week for that matter...not now.. but I AM GAME !!!

Unread 03-10-2003, 05:08 PM
Silver Member

Slymule, if you keep misquoting me, I might think your as senile as your mule and take you up on this... nah.

"If you took the wager, you guys would of been shooting QuietHunter's big ass large calibre handgun and I'd be shooting my S&W K-22."
I do not own a handgun and pretty much would be willing to wager you cannot show where I said I did - especially a "big ass" one.

Was trying to find a common ground to determine your credibility, but you got the whole Forest Service, FWS thing messed up, but I am just guessing you were in a hurry - which explains why you like a slow ride in the mountains so you don't miss things there.

How old is this Jolene freak of nature anyway?
I will not doubt the potential for an "exceptional" mule to do well at what you are describing, but I think that ordinary Doc would beat about every ordinary mule at hunting related things.

How do you plan to do the 25 and 50 mile trips on one day? Is it just a 50 mile trip where half way counts?
Do you already have this course picked out?

One thing you did not put in here is a time frame. I think when Doc is 15 we might be able to arrange something, but it would have to revolve around realistic hunting related things. I don't know what Polocrosse is for sure, but does it involve swooping down to pick up the reins of the mule that just bucked your riding partner off?
Unread 03-10-2003, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

Wouldn't you know it...just as I was closin' in on the kill look who shows up cause he smelled a sure thing. How the hell are ya' Jim? Now don't you be tryin to pluck my two pigeons out from underneathe me - cause I found em' first! You must be needing a new action too huh? Well maybe there'll be enough for both of us. Oh, and you know better than to ask Thursdays' just like Jolene - she's not goin anywhere.

WyoWhisper, I have no idea what you do for a living so that never entered into the challenge. What do you do anyway? And yes, I know Jake Clark and he knows me, we've never met in person but we've talked on the phone 4 or 5 times regarding mules. In fact I almost threw up as a suggestion that we do this at Jake Clark Mule Days since I knew you had to be up there near him somewhere. But...wanting to go easy on ya' and all... I didn't want to see you humiliated in front of too many people, expecially at an all mule event like that. The other reason was I'm going to be right in the middle of the police academy at that time and I'd only have Saturday and Sunday off and its a long way to go when you only have two days off.

Pink slips....HEE HEE...thats a good one!

Yes, my mules hog fat right now too, in fact all of them are. They haven't done hardly anything since hunting season. And I bought her when she was coming 3 years old and she was just verily green broke so I take most of the credit for her training.

Polocrosse - why sure its a fair game even if your animals never played before. After all it was gonna be two against one, what more could you want. I guess I could play one handed and hold the reins in my mouth like John Wayne did in the movie True Grit. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Never tried any reined cow horse events in my life. Does my mule go down the fence? ****, she'd climb stadium bleachers if I asked her too! Don't know why she wouldn't run down a fence.

"Here's another twist...how about we bring 3-5 animals a piece..." - there ya' go wantin' to change the rules and takin all the pressure off of Dusty. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] NO, NO, NO - thats not gonna work!!!

You DO sound game and I like that in my pigeons, I mean my victims....sorry I meant my...oh never mind. Being GAME is GOOD - I like that!

QuietHunter, I MUST BE getting senile in my old age. I got you confused with Sscoyote who posted earlier in this thread - he shoots some big high powered hand cannon. My mistake!

"How old is this Jolene freak of nature?" - she's either 8 or 9, I can't remember - its that senile thing again.

"How do I plan on doing both the 25 and the 50 mile course in the same day?" - I don't, didn't figure you could either since you only have 24 hours to work with. Kinda looks like you might have to pick one or the other - remember I named the events, you guys get to pick which ones. Guess you gotta pick smart. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

"Do I have the course picked out?" - not really, but I gave it a little thought. Actually I figured you guys would be smarter than to pick either of the two longest races so you might at least have a shot at winning.

"I think when Doc is 15 we might be able to arrange something" - so how old is he anyway? I just figured you've had him for awhile, didn't know you were talking about a young colt that you'd be worrying about breaking down.

"I don't know what polocrosse is for sure, but does it involve swooping down to pick up the reins of the mule that just bucked your riding partner off?" - YEAH RIGHT!!! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Maybe in your case we might have to do that for you, but in the game of polocrosse you do have to scoop up a ball off the ground but you have a racket like they use in Lacrosse. Its kind of like a combination of polo and Lacrosse, instead of hitting a little hard ball on the ground with a mallet your able to scoop a softball sized ball up with a racquet, pass it around, throw it in to score, etc. It takes riding ability, finesse, good hand eye coordination, and most importantly a fast animal with a really good rein. You may want to pick a different event cause when you fall off they don't stop the game. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The time frame - I figured sometime between summer and fall. I'm in no rush to pluck my pigeons. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Unread 03-10-2003, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

Well Mr. Slowmule,
I got your email and will get in touch with ya when I can free up some time and Doc has some shoes on. We can spend a day or two in the desert, or if the sheep draws work right, maybe on a mountain real close to where John Wayne did the famous True Grit scene. After we are both impressed by our respective rides and our horsemanship er I mean mulemanship (sounds like something from the spam mail I just got...) we can make a Gentlemans bet if you would like.

Heee Hawww, Heee Hawwww

QH
Unread 03-10-2003, 08:48 PM
Gold Member

Slymule you're not that Deputy Marshall out of Dodge City now are you? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Mr. F. Haggan wouldn't right nothing but a mule. Don't get me wrong My MONEY is on Jolene [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img].

I've seen somethings that mules can do. Does your wife tell Jolene not to take her man away during hunting season [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]. But really would like to see the two of you complete [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img].
Unread 03-10-2003, 08:57 PM

boys boys boys-
now the way i see it if you were my kids i would split you up and send you to your rooms - this is of course after i was done smackin myself for having offspring like you. you are not making your kin proud i assure you. however i do, very much so, love healthy competition. my daddy can beat up your daddy, my shot was tougher than your shot, my mule is better than your horse - holy chit this is not exactly what i had in mind!!!
i may be new to this site but i know a few people on the site and they can vouch for me i have done my fair share of hunting and guiding in pa and wy. i have used both horse and mules. great animals and both could kick anyones ass up and down the mountain. now in all fairness i have guided with wyowhisper and i do know his string of animals on his ranch. he is very very very particular on the training and care of these animals as i would imagine you are with yours. i will say my main experience has been with some mountain beating horses. to date there is not one place i have directed them to go, along with the person i am guiding, that they didnt go. whether it was thru the thorofare 30 miles back, up green creek, on tarmagon mountain about 13,000 ft ect. they have never let me down or my hunter. i am sure you can say the same and more as could i.
i do wonder about the bet you are trying to make, and if you put 2 mice in a bag i'd bet which one would come out first. so betting is all good by me. however, both guys you are betting have to accomadate you and go to your home field because your excuse/reason is you work mon-fril, as if they dont, and only have sat/sun off and it is a long way off to travel for two days (it is the same distance for them). they are probably teaching you now in the academy about be careful when you are not on your own turf - home field is an advantage and a disadvantage to the visitor. so you are naming the betting criteria and have home field adv. - sounds a bit one sided. now i have not forgotten about you are being kind to let the other players pick 5 out of the 7, which essentially means you are still picking the 5 measures of criteria. it would be a fair contest if you alternated picks for the different challenges in the contest. tie breaker for the player to pick the 5th and last criteria would be determined by a flip of a coin or something that simple. just a thought. and one more thing you have to remember and cant dispute and they may not teach this in the academy, (which i never saw a law enforcer riding a mule), a mule is a sterile hybrid male ass and a female horse. so the take away message is you wouldnt have an ass if it werent for horses.
just a thought - now boys go back to your bickering nicely.
now leave your mother and i alone.
Unread 03-10-2003, 09:10 PM
Gold Member

Hunt you may not be old enough to remember GUNSMOKE but Fester Haggan rode a MULE and only a MULE! And he got where he needed to go. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]