Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

That time of year again - Colorado hunt planning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2003, 03:23 AM
Silver Member

Re: That time of year again - Colorado hunt planning

Well I can see you two are having alot of fun with this...and thats a good thing, but now that everybodys had a good laugh at my expense I think a gentlemens challenge is in order. I propose we have an old fashioned competition between steeds and I'm willing to give double or nothing odds - the two of your horses against my one mule, that is if you guys have hair enough between the two of you to accept. I mean after all you guys have horses and I just have a funny little mule. I think we could come up with a suitable prize for the winner, something along the lines of maybe a new custom barrel of the winners choice, a custom scabbard, a nice scope or maybe a nice action - I'm sure we can figure something out that would be agreeable to all parties. To make it more enticing I'm giving odds of double or nothing, but I get to name the events. I'll name 7 events and just to be extra fair you guys can pick which 5 will make up the competition. The winner will be the team that wins three out of the five events. Sound fair? Here's my list -

1) 25 yd. race
2) 50 yd. race
3) 25 mile race (in the mountains)
4) 50 mile race (mountains and desert)
5) polocrosse match - usually played three players against three, but this one will be you two against me (two against one).
6) jumping contest (coonjumping rules - from a standstill in front of the jump)
7) pistol shooting contest (must be from either in the saddle, no reins in your hand, or laying on the ground between the animals front and rear feet). Distance will be 100 yds. and I get to pick the pistols we use. Three shots each, best average score.

The only rules will be no cheating (this is a gentlemens bet) and that the competition will be done in the same day, it must be completed within 24 hours from the start. You've got to use "Dusty" and "Doc", no substitutions for any reason. I'll be expecting a Foxtrotter and a Foxtrotter cross to show up. I'll use my funny little mule "Jolene". Well what do you think gentlemen? Is it a bet? After all you know what they say - "no guts, no glory". Somehow I think I'm the one that'll be ROFLMAO while you two try and weasle your way out of this friendly little wager.

Yes, I can hear it now...

"My horse just pulled up lame...I'm too busy...my wife won't let me...my dog took sick and I can't leave him...

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Let the back peddling begin!
Old 03-10-2003, 07:32 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Hmmmm...
now who's panties are in a bunch....
So when would you want to do this....??

In all fairness.. if you know what I do for a living you would have challenged me earlier in the winter... I only get 6 months a year to make the $ I do and it takes 3 months to get ready for those 6.. You may think this is back peddling but I have many who will vouch for me .. on this board that... my busy time is here!!!!
I will however take a rain check on this.. especially before winter hits and I dream up a new project... A new action would fit in to those plans very nice!!!

Upfront I gotta tell ya .. I won't shoot from my horse or near it...I never have trained an animal that I hunt with to do that and I never will.. you think your hearing can go bad from gunshots.. think about the animals who's hearing is much more sensitive than ours, and my horses hearing is much to valuable come the fall!!!!
Also, I will do the pistol shooting in different circumstances. Let say a bear charge at 30 feet.. ;-)if your gonna make it real make it real....

I honestly am not trying to weasle outta this but this is real bad timing and I have many that will , like I said vouch for me..

Just so you know .. I do use many mules.... and I really don't think it was at your expense.. I think the Marlboro man paid the price....
Old 03-10-2003, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Hello Slymule, Ric and QH

This has been one of the most entertaining threads I have seen.

It's always like that between the Horesmen and the mule owners. Very enjoyable I might add.

Ric and QH---I don't think I would go for that bet if I were you. Slymule has a mule that sounds like it will do everything he has mentioned in his challenge and do it very well. I have heard of Slymule from my friend in Grand Junction.

Slymule---My friends name is Bob Seebring and he sold his last mule just before he moved to Grand Junction from Glenwood, two years ago.

Have fun you guys this is entertaining as hell.

Later
DC
Old 03-10-2003, 09:54 AM
*WyoWhisper*

DC,

Yeah I have had this discussion on other boards as well.. man I always get my top horse into trouble... One of these days he's gonna get mad..
Just so everyone knows.. Iwasn't trying to start a bickering match...I just thought it was funny about the Marlboro Man... I mean common.. really could you see that as a commercial.. how funny would that be...

For the record I do like mules.. and use them quite often... I just have a real fondness for Dusty who saved my life one time.. so .. I'll always have his back...
as far as the challenge.. I think I might come out fairly well .. especially on the endurance part of it.... see most mules will just flatout shut down when they get tired.

My wife and I just purchased our first wild mustang.. she has been satrting it for the past 6 weeks now.. she had the mare under saddle in 13 days.. from a completely wild horse who never saw man or had interaction with man upclose and personal to under saddle with no humpyness or buck and real gentle.. that says alot about how good my wife is with training. We have trained or tuned up most of our Remuda or string and we have some of the best around .. ( I am allowed to brag cause I'm proud )My wife gets them ready for the saddle and I teach them the hills...
Ask "Hunt724" how good my string is he's rode 'em... in places most men wouldn't think of going...

So anyway this Mustang is gonna be the one to beat.. Horse , mule or whatever.... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2003, 09:57 AM
Silver Member

After the authority (DC) has spoken, this could be me with my tail between my legs.
I learned a long time ago not to bet when you don't understand all the details, and there is always someone better - or maybe better. Never bet against a pro either.

I agree with Wyo and I refuse to shoot around a horse - especially Doc as you would likely end up knowing why we call him Doc [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] One of my brothers ponies used to be a trials horse so you could probably shoot around him, but he is pushing 18 so he is past his prime.
I am working on the Bighorn sheep societies "Adopt a Herd" program and will be part of a group adopting the S-62 desert rams. Maybe we could get together and go for a ride in the Dominguez area (close to you) and we could both brag about the good things our steeds have in common.
Right now I will be the first to say Doc is fat, happy and shoeless since he has not been ridden since December. By the end of the summer he will be in good shape again, but I still would not bet against somebody as willing to bet as you are!
I would like to see a good mule in action though. Just don't try to sell me on Llamas!
Do you know any of the folks I mentioned in my other post?
Old 03-10-2003, 01:57 PM
Silver Member

Hmmmnn....lets see we've got a

- "I would never shoot around my horse"
- "I'm not trying to weasle out of this but this is really bad timing"
- "I wasn't trying to start a bickering match"
- "I think I might come out fairly well on the endurance part" **but then he wants to use the mustang instead of his personal horse**
- "I learned a long time ago not to bet if you don't understand all the details"
- "I refuse to shoot around a horse...or you'd likely end up knowing why we call him Doc"
- "maybe we could get together and go for a ride instead...
- "Doc is fat, happy, and shoeless and hasn't been ridden since December"
- "I wouldn't bet against somebody as willing to bet as you are!"

Thats not bad so far guys...wait, I think I feel a tear welling up in my one eye...nope my mistake, must be this darn cold.

Let me address a few points, answer a couple of your questions and let everybody know my real intentions -

QuietHunter - don't know the one legged man that trains cutting horses, sorry. Don't know the guy that retired from the FWS (Is this Fish, Wildlife Service?) although I know three or four people up Kannah Creek Road, one who is an outfitter. I can always be talked into going for a ride (Dominquez canyon)especially if I'm allowed to brag on my mules good qualities. I'd never try to talk you into a Llama!

WyoWhisper - my panties aren't in a bunch and I knew you weren't trying to start a bickering match. I'm not without a sense of humor either,and the Marlboro man scenario would make a funny commercial. I just wanted to see how fast and hard you guys would backstroke from this challenge. Now don't get me wrong, I'm more than willing to make this wager (thats why I made it), because I could also use a good action for a gun I'm wanting to build. But most importantly you can believe since I named the events, I was figuring my mule wouldn't be beat in ANY of them. I ride a pretty exceptional mule.

Darryl - you're right its always been that way between people who like horses vs. people who like mules. Good advice you gave those boys - I do have a mule that does those things VERY well. The name Bob Seebring rings a bell but I can't put a face to the name off hand.

Regarding shooting around animals - I have shot around my animals and they're all used to it. A guy never knows when he may have to shoot off of one or right next to one in a situation and if you have to you sure don't want to be left afoot 20 miles from nowhere. I know they have sensitive ears so I'm careful what I'm shooting and where the muzzle blast is going. Remember, the rules say that I got to pick the guns we were going to shoot. If you took the wager, you guys would of been shooting QuietHunter's big ass large calibre handgun and I'd be shooting my S&W K-22. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] That had all the makings of probably being an exciting event to watch.

Bragging time - I've got a pretty exceptional mule, theres NO QUIT in her and she can run like a raped ape and stop and spin on a dime. If you know anybody in the country that plays polocrosse THEY ALL know "Jolene", because they've either seen her, heard of her, or had the misfortune of getting "smoked" by her on the playing field. She'll outrun 90% of the horses out there and theres some pretty darn fast horses playing the game, most of them being Quarter horses or Thoroughbreds. She's kind of like the energizer bunny, she just never quits. Most people take two horses to play on, I just take Jolene. If I had a dime for everybody that left the field shaking their head in disbelief that they just got smoked by a mule...why I'd have enough to buy that action to build a gun. The first year I played on her (2 years ago) she took me to first place in the Nationals in my division. Last year I qualified for Nationals but it was held during hunting season so we went hunting instead. So...she's here and she's for real and if you guys want some of this action, I'm more than willing to step up to bat. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2003, 03:06 PM
Bronze Member

Had to put my thoughts and $$$ in here. Since I have rode slymules stock, I will give you boy's the same offer, so you have a chance to double up, if'n your big enough to step up to the plate. Hope you still got my girl there slymule, you know I got first dibbs on Thursday if she ever comes up for sale, later jimmyd223 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]