Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

That time of year again - Colorado hunt planning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2003, 02:53 AM
SPONSOR

Re: That time of year again - Colorado hunt planning

slymule,
You don't give yourself enough credit. These XP's are not that hard on you. sscoyote has a tougher time than I do because his stature is somewhat shorter than mine. Even at that, I wish someone made a high quality scope whose eye-relief would be somewhere in between a typical rifle scope and the Long-Eye-Relief pistol scope.
Why not a rifle? I prefer the specialty handguns. They are more challenging for me, plus they are lighter and more compact.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:37 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Well, let me add this to the thread..

1st off , I havn't been beat up a hill yet... so I won't say mules are better.. they are good but my Foxtrotter cross won't let me say they're better ( he's funny like that )
Second, I have a 3.5-15X50mm NXS now.. I havn't had any prolbems with the target turrets.. I hunt deer most of the time .. and I am set well be fore 1st light with everything out and ready... second thing is .. that I am having a scabbard made for my new gun... I figure ( after some encouragement here ) If you're gonna spend all that money on a rifle and scope, why not get a scabbard that fits the rifle made too....
Ok, I gotta go tell Dusty ( foxtrotter cross ) that Slymule is coming to Wyo to challenge us up a hill... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2003, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

Whoa there, lets not get your panties in a bunch now. Who said I'm heading to Wyoming and challenging anybody? QuietHunter was the one that made the comment that his Foxtrotter was only beat up the hill once and it was by a Missouri mule - he said it, not me. Now I'd be the last one to dispute what he said, because no one needs to tell me what a fast walking mule is capable of doing in the mountains, I know I've owned too many of them. So WyoWhisper you can go out and tell ol' Dusty he can rest easy now and not to worry, I won't be bringing some mean ol' mule out to spank his butt and make him look bad. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

To tell you the truth I don't even like a fast walking mule to hunt on, you just miss seeing too much game when your haulin' ass down the trail. I like one that'll take it easy and go wherever I point it, can climb like a mountain goat, will stand quietly while I'm shooting, won't panic in a bad situation, and most importantly can spot game 5 minutes before I do. Thats my idea of a good hunting mule.

Now as far as the target knobs go, I never had any problems with mine either - they worked just fine. Rather it was my stinkin' scabbard that gave me fits cause I couldn't get my gun out of it quickly because the darn knobs stuck out so far. Now if I could of found a scabbard that would of worked with them on, they'd probably still be on my scope today. But even if they were I probably wouldn't use them all that much, because for my style of hunting the dot system works out better.

So calm down, rest easy, and don't let yourself get all lathered up. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2003, 07:08 PM
*WyoWhisper*

whew.. I'll tell Dusty to ease up on the alfalfa... man and he just started training again too.. oh well...

Even though he is a real fast walking son of a buck he honeslty seems to know when we are hunting, or when we are close to game he kinda settles down and sneaks... he most always spots stuff before me.. ( don't tell the clients that ) I wouldn't trade him or sell him for nothin.. to many good times and tough hunts between us.. and I couldn't have done it without him..!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

as for the scabbard.. I am having one made to fit the turrets... not cheap but will be molded much like that of a carry holster.. should be kinda neat!!
Old 03-09-2003, 06:30 PM
Silver Member

Don't worry about me switching over to mules. While I understand their virtues, I think I just plain look better on a horse [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Can you imagine the Marlboro man on one of those mules? I bet Wyo can come up with a good story there with his literary gift.
Slymule, I grew up on stories of good mules and horses. Know a guy who retired from the Forest Service out of Delta who used to swear by his mules - while my Father-In-Law would swear next to them [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Great story about a mule with a pack on fire coming down Dominguez canyon that makes me lagh everytime I hear it.
Do you know the one-legged man in Fruita who trains cutting horses? My Father-In-Law helped him with his sheep hunt a few years ago. I have a hunting buddy with the FWS in GJ who has some acreage up Kannah Creek and really needs to get some horses of his own before he is relegated to backpacking in. Maybe you can hook him up.
BTW, The time we got out paced by a mule, it was because I was packing a slow horse and my arm would not stretch. I think Doc could take him if he was solo.

I am pretty much decided on what I plan to buy for a scope. I hate to sound like a wannabe, but I am just waiting for all the pieces to come together for my gun.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:05 PM
*WyoWhisper*

HAHAH..

I can see it now...

In the deep purple morn... a soft amber glow rises from the east.... Cookie throws another log on the fire and the bitter coffee begins to boil... a dark firgure arises from a dusty bed roll, his deep sunken eyes deep blood red with wearyness.... dark shadows outline his rugged face.... he chugs down the dark, thick adrenalin juice and stairs towards the meadows..... time to wrangle the herd.... gotta make 30 miles today.... no time to loose, his battered and aching joints tell him a bad storm is brewin' from the south...
He swagers the the picket line were his top mount awaits his driver....
Just then this tall, chisled mans eyes give off a horrified gaze as the silent, crisp morning air is shattered by... HEEE HAW.... HEEE HAW..... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

HAHAHA can you imagine...
Old 03-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Silver Member

ROFLMAO!
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]