Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

That time of year again - Colorado hunt planning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2003, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: That time of year again - Colorado hunt planning

QH

For reaching way out there, You can get the Burris sight-a-line rings with the .020" inserts which will give you plenty of elevation in the scope.

If your keeping the expected shooting range down to 800 yards and less, you will be able to reach that with just standard rings and the 6 1/2X to 20X Leupold with Target knobs. That scope has a potential of 4 complete revolutions of elevation starting at the very bottom. That's 60 clicks or 15 MOA per revolution or 240 clicks/60 MOA total.
If the scope is centered on level bases and rings that would mean you would have 30MOA or 120 clicks from a 100 Yd zero because the zero would now be half way up the scopes potential elevation adjustment.

For example.
A standard 30/06 with a 180 gr Sierra Game King bullet would need 24 MOA (96 clicks) to get to 800 yards.
With level mounts and rings the 30/06 will get to 800 yards with that scope starting in a centered elevation position.

DC
Old 03-02-2003, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

QuietH. I do a lot of backpack hunting with a friend for long-range elk and deer with custom XP's out close to Durango. I'm currently using a 6.5-284, and my friend is using a 7.82 Patriot. We have been using the 3-12X LER Burris with Ballistic Plex reticle, and i've also used the Ballistic Mil-Dot on a riflescope, and although I haven't used any other reference/ranging system other than Burris's, I can't imagine a finer system for the price.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Silver Member

Hi SS,
Thanks for the information. I have looked at the Burris solutions and while I like the concept, I don't think it is for me. I like their optics, but all things being equal the Burris seems to weigh 5 - 8 oz more than the Leupolds. I spent some time shooting coyotes over a carcass in the moonlight through a Burris Black Diamond and was very impressed with the optics, but not for something I want to carry when there are other options.
I have a rangefinder, so determining distance should not be an issue, just hitting things at distance!
I plan to buy a Leupold - either 4.5-14 or 6.5-20 with target turrets. Going to take the time, develop a mean load, create a drop chart and practice shooting it at the distances I hope to hunt.
Still waiting for the gun, then permission from my financial advisor (wife) to buy the scope, rings, bases. Big potential for layoffs at work so may have more time than money soon. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2003, 02:41 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah, i just got a fiancee, and am starting to figure out the "financial advisor" thing. I'm trying to get all my guns built now, before it's too late.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Silver Member

Very wise thing to do. Bring all the toys you can into the marriage.
I married the daughter of my hunting buddy. He was also a Division of Wildlife biologist. This makes her understand and dislike my passions even more. She cannot understand why I disappear for half the summer all all of the fall. And she has no real interest in learning.
I get jealous everytime I hear about the gun Brent is building for his wife, or the 1800 yard shot Darryl's wife made [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Maybe there is hope for my son and daughter [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2003, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

QH, ever do any rockchucking in the mtns. Went up last year for a sheep hunt, and the marmots were everywhere in the Sangre's. I'd love to get a backpack group of LR handgunners together for this sometime.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:49 PM
Silver Member

QuietHunter,
I'm new around here although I've been lurking all week, and I'm not anywhere near as knowledgeable as Darryl Cassel - theres no doubt he's probably forgot more about longrange shooting than I know. But...let me toss out a suggestion or two that may help you a little. Take it from a fellow Coloradoan who's been hunting off a mule for the last 23 years - those target knobs make pulling a gun out of a scabbard a real pain in the ***. Got rid of mine years ago. Don't like to recall the times I rode up on elk and there I was dancing around with my mule looking like I was trying to pull a stump out of the ground. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Got smart and took the target turrets off and instead had dots installed out to 800 yards by Premier Reticle. By the way, I shoot a .300 RUM in a Remington Sendero - stock bedded, action trued, with a "fine" trigger. My scopes a Leupold 4.5x14x40 big enough to see what I want to shoot but slick enough I can still shuck it from a scabbard. Why I can be plopped on the ground, rangefinder out, bipod down, and laying on my reins ready to shoot in no time these days. Oh, one other suggestion - LOSE THE HORSE - get yourself a GOOD mule. There I'm done. You can take it from here Darryl. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]