Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

That time of year again - Colorado hunt planning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2003, 04:07 PM
Silver Member

That time of year again - Colorado hunt planning

Time to figure out how to come up with extra cash to float to the Division of Wildlife. The hunt before the hunt. Running statistics, success rates and poring over maps - all to end up in the same honey holes we have been going to for years.
For all of you Colorado non-residents, go to http://wildlife.state.co.us/Brochure...chreq_form.cfm and get your big game applications and regulations on the way.
I will happily trade general information on hunting Colorado for the information you guys are able to give on killing things at long distances.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: That time of year again - Colorado hunt planning

QH

If you run into my crew out there, we would be glad to show you how it's done.

Avalanche/marble area most every year. I don't tell to many people were we are exactly for obvious reasons. WE do go back to the same place/area every year though.

If I remember correctly, you have some fine horses.

If you run into ANY longrange hunters from PA. almost all of them will show you how it's done.

Later
Darryl Cassel

[ 01-27-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 01-28-2003, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

Thanks DC

I am learning plenty just by monitoring. I have learned that I do not have the resources (time, money) to do REAL long range hunting. I can come up with the resources and justification to learn the basics and take the first steps.

I am getting a "carry" rifle that will hopefully get me out to the 800 yard range. Based on availablility it will be a Remington 700 .300 SAUM with a muzzlebrake, bedded, trued with trigger work.
The big question I have now is the scope. I do not want one too big or too heavy, but I do want one that will give me the adjustment I need to kill anything inside 800 yards. I played with the idea of mil-dot but learned its primary use is ranging. Will probably get a basic duplex. I am hoping target knobs won't get in the way of a saddle scabbard, but I think I can work around that.
I hope to absorb more information by going to a range where folks are shooting distances.

Anyway, great site. Much to be learned then implemented. I really like the positive attitude that everyone has - even when disagreeing.

Let me know if you want general information on hunting Colorado. I won't divulge any real secrets or locations, but I think I can help some have a fun hunt.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Silver Member

Thanks again DC.
I have been eyeing those as an option. What do you think I would be sacraficing if I went with a 40mm objective instead of the 50?
I would prefer to keep the package a little more streamlined, but if I will gain a substantial amount of clarity with the 3 oz weight and height difference I would make the compromise.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

QH

I think the 40MM will work just fine for you with the ranges you want to extend to.

The 50mm with the 30 MM tube does grab more light and is a very nice scope with more features, but for fitting in a saddle scabbard, the 40MM might be a better choice for you?

Compare them side by side and you will be able to make the choice.

Good luck.
DC
Old 01-29-2003, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

QH

You may want to look at the Leupold LR scopes in the 6 1/2X to 20X (30MM tube and side wheel focus) with Target knobs or one of the standard 6 1/2X to 20X with the 1" tube and target knobs. The second one is lighter and more compact then the LR series.
The duplex comes in both.

Leupold does put the lower Target knobs on if you want.

Later
DC
Old 01-30-2003, 08:54 AM
Silver Member

Thanks again DC.
Will the 44 MOA adjustment be enough to get me on without having to get any special rings or bases?
Do you have any recomendations on rings or bases for my needs?