Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Time for the next step. The scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Silver Member

Time for the next step. The scope?

Hey fellas, 25-06 project is in the shop getting it's make over. This is my very first attempt at long range equipment and shooting. I have considered it for a long time but, am only now making the move.
I figure my next purchase is a scope. I really like the idea of BDC turrets with the exception of change in P.O.I. when change in temp and elevation.
The other option is a ballistic calculator. Thats great as I could run diffrent loads. The bad part is the time involved in setting up for a shot.
I am considering the vortex scope and turrets set up by gunwerks. Any advice yal can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank's, Brad
Old 03-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Time for the next step. The scope?

[QUOTEThe bad part is the time involved in setting up for a shot. ][/QUOTE]

It is a problem and only you can decide. I wiill give you an example which is fairly common.

I was deer hunting this Fall and had a buck in easy range. But I wanted a video of it so I got the camera on the buck and running. Then I got behind the rile but by that time the buck was gone. So how do I feel? Do I regret not killing one more animal because it walked off while I was goofing around or am I OK with the fact that I could have made an easy shot on one more deer but didn't.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

Thank's for the come back. I'm wondering if one is more accurte than the other. How do correct a BDC turret for altitude , temp etc...? The turret may be built in Cody Wy. in summer but I am shooting it in Oklahoma in winter. How does that work? Brad
Old 03-23-2011, 08:03 PM

Poi change may be quite minor in most situations.. For hunting and for taking most ethical shots I think the dial is faster and may be the better of the two options.. IF your shooting smaller targets from a gosh darn long ways off then usually you have time to sit and read a piece of paper and dial in... etc..

With the ballistic turret your poi can change just from day to day in the same place with extreme temperature changes so it may not be perfect no matter how hard you try.. To answer your question you would have to have a turret engraved for summer WY and another for winter OK..

If your going past that, p-dogs or paper for example then I like the ballistic programs for precise shooting.. Use common sense when hunting and you'll be ok.. Personally I like the simplicity of laser engraved turrets as I'm not really capable of shooting much over 400 or 500 yards.. I have friend who can shoot his 338 edge accurately at over 1000 yards though, he uses the ballistic program and has a NightForce scope set up for that type of shooting..

Just my take, good luck man.. Enjoy it either way.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Gold Member

why the gunwerks scope turrets? Vortex offers the same thing through thier website since you're getting a vortex scope
Old 03-24-2011, 06:45 AM
Silver Member

The reason I'm considering the Gunwerks option is because I am brand new to all of this and the gunwerks option allows me to actually send them my rifle and they will gather the data build the turret and proof it afterwords so I know when I go to the range it will be operating as it should without me having to second guess what I done wrong. Brad
Old 03-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

I have a Greybull Precision (Leupold) on my 2506 and am very happy with it. For hunting I think the BDC is the best way to go for long range targets with plenty of time to make adjustments maybe the BC is the best. You can have different BDC turetts built for different altitudes. Greybullprecision.com they can also set up your rifle with a load.

Last edited by WyoElk2Hunt; 03-24-2011 at 09:50 AM.