Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Time for a new cell phone.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Bronze Member

Time for a new cell phone.

I am getting ready to get a new phone and I have never had one with a ballistic calculator.What phone are you using and do you like it or would you get something different.Do you have to have cell service to use the calculator.Most of the country I hunt has no service;so would I be wasting my time and money getting. one.Head me in the right direction please. Thanks Charles
Old 05-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Time for a new cell phone.

I used an iTouch for a year as a trial before getting an iPhone this past January. I absolutely love it, and have a variety of apps on it. Ok... I have almost 200. Some medical, some hunting, some games, some travel...

Shooter recently came out for the iPhone and I purchased it. This is one of the best apps out for ballistic calculations, and the fact that I can do so much more with the phone is just a bonus. I would highly recommend it. iStrelok is nice, and even better since it is free. I also have Ballistic, though since I now have Shooter I'm not sure I will ever use it.

No, I don't even own Apple stock but I like my iPhone much more than I ever thought I would - even after using the same thing (iTouch - an iPhone without the phone) for a year.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Silver Member

I have a Droid comando and use the free Strelok app. I am not sore if it will operate when there is a lack of service.
I bought the comando because it is water , shock , dust proof. A requirement for my line of work. I have dropped it from 10 ft. onto cement with no side effects and have had it submersed in water with no ill effects. There are phones with bigger screens which I like but they don't meet the other requirements. I do like the fact that when it's raining I dont have to put it in a zip lok bag.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member

I'm looking at phones, and I'm just following the thread. Thanks
Old 05-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

iPhone 4s Ballistic Software

Here's a good read!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 05-02-2012, 03:08 AM
Silver Member

I have an iPhone and love it. I use the JBM ballistic FTE program on it and am very happy with it. Cell coverage can be used to input some of the weather and location parameters but is not required, you can manually enter them as well. The app was 20 bucks but worth it IMO
Old 05-02-2012, 04:58 AM
Bronze Member

My son has an IPad so he loaded a copy of Shooter so I can learn to run the program while deciding on a phone.I really don't need all the features and service of a fancy phone. I may go cheap on the phone service and carry an IPad to calculate.When your old and the vision starts to slip those little screens can be a major problem.Should get to play with Shooter today and will post opinions.
Charles