Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Time between shots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Gold Member
Re: Time between shots

I was using 3 minutes for a 7 RUM. I have some Omega reversible temperature indicator strips and put one on last week. Turns out that 5 minutes is a much better time period to wait for a 7 RUM with a fluted Sendero taper barrel to return to ambient temperature.

Last edited by dwm; 08-04-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Unread 08-05-2009, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member

If we were all paying attention in 4th grade science class we would all know that heat and cold expands and contracts metals. Rifle barrels are no exception. Firing off rounds in a steel barrel will heat it up and change the dynamics of the steel. The more powder and overbore the barrel the more it will get heated after each shot. The heavier the barrel and/or lighter the load, the less each shot will affect the steel - heavier barrels will be able to absorb the heat better to a point, simply because they have more mass.

During the barrel manufacturing process, stresses are induced into the barrel. A good custom barrel maker will relieve most of those stresses. Heat from firing will likely have some effect on those stresses in the steel. As already mentioned once or twice, every barrel will be different, but it only makes sense to keep the barrel temps consistant when shooting for groups. I always let mine cool between shots to an ambient temp, or maybe slightly warmer.

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 08-05-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Unread 08-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

Let me ask this question. If quality barrel manufacturers relieve these stresses when cutting a new barrel, would it benefit a guy on a tight budget to take a factory barrel and have it treated just as a custom barrel? Now I know some manufactures don't take the time to make sure the rifling is concentric all the way through or lap the barrel, but there a lot of good off the shelf shooters.

Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!