Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Tikka t3 tactical or trg-22?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 12:32 AM

Tikka t3 tactical or trg-22?

First time here, nice site. I have a Tikka t3 super varmint stainless in .22-250, and LOVE IT!! It's a coyote killer here in E. Washington. I'm looking at a sniper gun for really long range shots. Is the SAKO trg 22 that much more of a gun than the T3 tactical? If the SAKO is that much more of a gun, should I spend a bit more and get the TRG 42 in 338 lapua? I have dreams of 1000+yrd shots and have never fired any of these 3 guns. If similar, I'd like the cheaper option, the trg's seem to be over double the price---Ryan
Old 02-12-2009, 01:22 AM
Silver Member

Re: Tikka t3 tactical or trg-22?

Welcome! nice to see another eastern WA guy here. I have always had a fondness of tikka/sako's. I have never shot any of sakos tacticals but I have read about them a bunch and I know many guys love them. I would say, if a sako in 338 LM is a doable option for you then DO IT! I highly dougbt you will be disapointed. Dont skimp on the quality optics either.

Happy shooting

Jpritt

I am the way I am because I watched the movies "Red Dawn" and "Tremors" at a impressionable age.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:31 AM
Silver Member

Hi There and welcome along,
Oh how your brain is going to be doing cart wheels for the next couple of months, with this that and the other but dont worry you will get through it...... NOT!!!.

Now the one thing that you will find on this site in many shapes and forms, it will be disguised in many different ways but one resounding word will all ways come out..... QUALITY!! buy the very best you can afford if it takes a little while to save for it, save! you will never go wrong with buying quality gear.

With that said I have a toy box not full but over 50% of my rifles are Tikkas and Sakos, I luv em! but if I was going to spend that kind of money on a Sako TRG-42, dude, build custom!!!

It anit as scary as it sounds if youve never gone down that track before, you will have more satisfaction with the final product, and if you strike up a good raport with your smith any niggly problems will be hopefully sorted and more sound advise given, than the guy that just sold you that rifle of the shelf.

Im not bagging Sakos Im just giving you the same advise I would give anyone else, and you will probably find I wont be the only one on here saying it either.

There are smiths that a forum members and they know their ****, any advise they have is worth moon beams.

Ask heaps of questions here you will get the right answer.

All the best with what ever you decide on, either way its a hell of a ride

Regards 300WSMMAD
Old 02-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Silver Member

I agree with 300WSMMAD, if you are going to spend that kind of money go custom.

Paul
Old 02-12-2009, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the imput, speaking of customs, is there a custom builder in E. Washington that anyone knows of for a serious long range gun. I'm fairly new to coyote hunting out here on the wheatlands, if there is a hunter that would like to hook up and share knowledge and hit some yotes I have a little acreage and know alot of roads/area out this way, in Ritzville 509-347-6119---Ryan
Old 02-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

Look up Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge. He is in the panhandle of ID. He can do "repairs" without involving and FFL transfer.

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member
Old 02-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Silver Member

ullr, check your personal messages

I am the way I am because I watched the movies "Red Dawn" and "Tremors" at a impressionable age.