Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Tikka T3 as a donor action.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Silver Member

Tikka T3 as a donor action.

Hiya Guys,

My initial plan for a custom .223rem has fallen through, the gunsmith has started to quibble about the price and the price started to increase, so my intrest in buying it started to decrease.

Therefore I am back to the drawing board.

I have just been looking for some rifle components and have come across the following that are all currently available.

Tikka T3 stainless action and trigger.
stainless steel 26" Kreiger 1 in 8 barrel with an M18 X 1 thread for sound mod.
Mcmillan A3/5 stock. My Proposed Stock

All the above bedded using marinetex.

My initial intention was to go with .223rem, but I am starting to lean towards the .223AI, what do you guys think ???

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

What do you think ???
Old 06-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Tikka T3 as a donor action.

Go for it. As you know Tikka actions are sturdy and nice. I wouldn't mind a 223AI. It's a Kreiger barrel, so you know it's quality. You can never go wrong with a McMillian.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 06-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Silver Member

Sounds like a nice setup.. I'd go with the .223AI
Old 06-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

I know you asked about the Lothar Walther barrel in your last post. Here is a video I found on accurateshooter.com.

Lothar Walther’s Woodall Explains Barrel-Making Methods Daily Bulletin

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 07-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Let us know how this build goes. I am about to have one of my old tikkas rebuilt. Who is doing your build?

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 07-04-2011, 01:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobsam View Post
Hiya Guys,

My initial plan for a custom .223rem has fallen through, the gunsmith has started to quibble about the price and the price started to increase, so my intrest in buying it started to decrease.

Therefore I am back to the drawing board.

I have just been looking for some rifle components and have come across the following that are all currently available.

Tikka T3 stainless action and trigger.
stainless steel 26" Kreiger 1 in 8 barrel with an M18 X 1 thread for sound mod.
Mcmillan A3/5 stock. My Proposed Stock

All the above bedded using marinetex.

My initial intention was to go with .223rem, but I am starting to lean towards the .223AI, what do you guys think ???

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

What do you think ???
What is your intended use for the rifle? That's the first question before we even start to discuss the best calber(s) etc.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:19 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
What is your intended use for the rifle? That's the first question before we even start to discuss the best calber(s) etc.
90% of the time this rifle will be used for long range varmint shooting out to 600yds and beyond. In addition I may use this rifle for a bit of target shooting maybe out to 800yds.