Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Tikka T-3 into a 7 wsm or 7 saum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Gold Member

Re: Tikka T-3 into a 7 wsm or 7 saum

Longtime long ranger I understand what you're saying and it makes good sense. I'm not sure which way I'm going yet but I'm trying to get the best fit with the least recoil. I plan on developing loads and practicing with the brake on and then for hunting taking the brake off, of course with rezeroing after the brake is removed. I will be hunting primarily mule deer in the eastern Mts (blue) of washington, as well as black bear with this rifle. I hunt elk with bow. Also 700 yrds I imagine would be the absolute limit for me, at this time I'm not comfortable past 300 but with practice will get there. You make a great case to stay with the 300, its a good thing I have time to figure this out. Thank You
Old 04-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Gold Member

Long time long ranger where were you getting your BC's for those gs bullets maybe I was reading it wrong but their website was way lower like in the .4's?
Old 04-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Like I said the 7mm wsm is an excellent cartridge and you would be very pleased with it. It is very capable to do what your requirements are. I was just trying to show you how to save some money because what you have is also very good.

The 177 grain 30 caliber GS HV hunting bullet is either .638 or .648 bc. On their website under hv hunting bullet technical data. The 300 wsm will push it over 3100 fps in the t3 light. With that bullet the 300 wsm becomes an excellent round. The 300 ultramag becomes awesome pushing it close to 3500 fps. The bullet is a solid copper allow that is similar in performance to the barnes bullet but doesn't open up quite as well. It stays together through about anything you can shoot it through hunting wise anyway. With the animals your hunting and the range your looking at your 300 wsm tikka t3 will be excellent and I see no need spending the money changing it up. Others probably have other opinions though. If you have accuracy problems with it many times changing the recoil lug system on it to one similar to the rem 700 and bedding it can help.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:27 AM
Gold Member

I'm no expert on this but if you do all your load development with the brake on and take it off, you might as well start all over because it changes the harmonics of the barrel. I may be wrong, but hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in. Unless its one of those twist on/off brakes...... Good luck with your project!
Old 04-20-2010, 01:22 AM
Gold Member

I dont believe you have to start all over. I believe you may have to re check your zero but the bullet data will be correct. Doesn't change velocity and BC just point of impact.

Last edited by pyroducksx3; 04-20-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member

The addition of a brake could also change group sizes from a given handloaded or factory cartridge, especially on a thinner tubed (lighter-profiled) barrel, in my opinion.

Understand that the principle of the boss adjustable brake or tuner on the end of browning factory rifles is to modify the harmonics of the barrel to match the loaded cartridge, in the effort to obtain optimal accuracy from that given cartridge. Adding a brake to the end of a barrel is no different than modifying the adjustment of the boss tuner/unit at the end of the barrel. I'd be pretty surprised if you didn't experience a change in performance of your pet handload. And if that handload was carefully developed over a period of time with significant sweat & blood - resulting in optimal accuracy in the firearm - I'd expect the addition of a brake to require some renewed tweaking and tuning of that pet handload in order to regain optimum accuracy.

If it was just a plain-Jane factory loading, the addition of the brake probably has a 50/50 chance of improving or degrading accuracy. But if you've already developed a load that gives close to the best accuracy possible for your rifle, you may have to repeat load development in order to get back to the best accuracy possible following the addition of the brake on the end of the rifle barrel.

That's my opinion, and others are equally entitled to theirs.

Last edited by phorwath; 04-20-2010 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
Like I said the 7mm wsm is an excellent cartridge and you would be very pleased with it. It is very capable to do what your requirements are. I was just trying to show you how to save some money because what you have is also very good.

The 177 grain 30 caliber GS HV hunting bullet is either .638 or .648 bc. On their website under hv hunting bullet technical data. The 300 wsm will push it over 3100 fps in the t3 light. With that bullet the 300 wsm becomes an excellent round. The 300 ultramag becomes awesome pushing it close to 3500 fps. The bullet is a solid copper allow that is similar in performance to the barnes bullet but doesn't open up quite as well. It stays together through about anything you can shoot it through hunting wise anyway. With the animals your hunting and the range your looking at your 300 wsm tikka t3 will be excellent and I see no need spending the money changing it up. Others probably have other opinions though. If you have accuracy problems with it many times changing the recoil lug system on it to one similar to the rem 700 and bedding it can help.
LTLR I'm looking at the GS website and the 168 .308 bullet is the heaviest one they have a BC listed for. The BC of the 168 is .433 at 3200fps. I don't see how adding 9 gr to a bullet will kick up the BC to over .6. Am I missing something or looking at the wrong bullet? They do have a 197 gr tactical .308 bullet that has a BC of .824 at 3300fps. That's impressive IF it can be pushed that fast accurately. They also don't recommend the tactical bullets for hunting.

PYRODUCKS I had my 7SAUM built last year and have nothing but good things to say about it. My best group (so far) was 1 3/8" at 600 yds. I'm currently waiting to order some 180 gr JLK bullets (.735 BC), going to H1000 or 8435sc, and a calm day to stretch it out to 1K. In good conditions this combo will be excellent at any range you feel comfortable taking a shot. Is there a reason you don't want to hunt with a muzzle brake? My wife and I filled 7 tags with the 7SAUM (with a CSR brake) and had no problems. However,we did have plenty of time to put in ear plugs. It's a beautiful thing to see your bullet crush a deer or antelope at 400 yds. PICS and MORE PICS I went with a brake because I knew my wife would be shooting it also and to be able to spot my own shot for corrections (I can see impacts after 300 yds or so). If you are wanting to shoot high BC bullets you have 2 main calibers to choose from: 7mm and .338. It all depends on how big you want to go. I know I can kill anything on this continent with my 7 SAUM.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM