Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

TIG welding on Remington 700 handle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2004, 03:43 PM

TIG welding on Remington 700 handle

Has anyone ever had a Remington 700 handle TIG welded on versus the standard silver soldering? Who does a good job of this? terry.berkhouse@umontana.edu
Old 07-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Silver Member

Re: TIG welding on Remington 700 handle

I have a friend who TIG welds and was going to weld a handle one time. A gunsmith told me know way. He said the bolt is extremely hard steel and heat from TIG welding can destroy the temper making it brittle. He said things could come apart when the gun was fired. Don't know if its true, but I wasn't willing to chance it. Let us know if it works...
Old 07-19-2004, 05:41 PM
Gold Member

I wouldn't recommend tigging it either. But if you want it re-enforced have it pinned. Remmy's custom shop gave me these figures:
400 lbs of force to break a normal soldered handle off.
1200 lbs to break a pinned handle off.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:18 PM
Silver Member

where can i send my bolt to to get this done.. i have a remy that i want a holland tactical handle put on. i know a guy who sweats them on but im not sure if it will take it or not! its a 300win mag 17# 1k gun.
Brien
Old 07-20-2004, 04:49 AM
Bronze Member

Don't know about remingtons but it's pretty standard to TIG mauser bolt handles. Heat paste, not letting it get too hot and ?reheat treating.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:01 AM

You can weld the back end of the bolt without any worries about loosing strength at the front where all the punishment is delt out , I've done two of mine and haven't had any problems. All I did was wrap the bolt head with clod wet rags , the heat never traveled any farther that about half way the bolt head was still cool to the touch.
I saw a Rem 700 once at a gun show that had the recoil lug and bolt handle welded on , it appeared to be eith "stick" or mig welded , it was built way up and tried to be gound to look decient , it was awfull , you could still see some slag down in the weld.If they diden't have enough since to weld it right I wonder how hot they got the front of the action and blot head , all I could do was shake my head and laugh

Heli-Arch is the only way to go.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:48 AM
Bronze Member

The bolt head on Remingtons are all made of steel and then welded or soldered on to the bolt body, which is of a lesser quality steel. The bolt head is what takes all the punishment, yet the bolt body doesn't need to be strong. One of the cost saving factors used by large corporations. You will notice that even stainless actions have a blackened steel bolt head, and is not made of stainless. They too could use 17-4 SS for bolt heads but its not as cost effective for an item that will not see the elements to corrode.

BTW, bolt heads and the rear bolt retainers are one of the many items machined by outside sources. Ask me how I know.

Ronnie