Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Thumbhole stocks ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 02:53 PM
Silver Member

Thumbhole stocks ?

I have several rifles that I have Laminated stocks and like them. I have a 700 varmint in 22-250 with the plastic sock that needs to go. I was wondering about a laminated thumbhole stock. I have never shot or held a rifle with a thumbhole stock. Anyone shoot a rifle with a thumbhole? What are the pro's and con's.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Thumbhole stocks ?

I have built several and my 300 win wears one. They are said to reduce felt recoil when prone. Aslo it seems that everyone can easily shoot the rifles with them. I am not sure there is anything bad to say. Some do not like the looks. ?. Mine is a Mcmillan and was under 2 lbs which is light enough.

I like them.

Jeff
Old 01-16-2014, 03:50 PM
Silver Member

The only minus with thumbhole stocks is the reduced firing rate if that is any important factor?! Repeating can be a little bit awkward sometimes...
Old 01-16-2014, 10:32 PM
Silver Member

I've got a few thumbhole stocks on my rifles. Mine are MPI silhouette stocks.

I find that a good thumbhole design puts my shooting hand "in the place it should be" to put it bluntly. Closest ordinary stock that (I find) "puts my hand where it should be" (or close to it) is my HS stock on my sendero, the one with the heavy palm swell.

To me, an ordinary stock grip doesn't position your hand well at all for consistent (comfortable) gripping of the stock when triggering. When shooting with an ordinary stock, I find my hand often positioned halfways "off" (below) the grip altogether! And I don't care for that at all. With (my) thumbhole MPI stocks, I find my whole hand is on that grip, as it should be.. and is easily repeated consistently. They're very comfortable to shoot.. it aids it confidence and consistency of position. To me, comfortable repetition makes for "muscle memory" developing (in good/proper ways) and is very important to ones shooting and accuracy.

I wouldn't trade my thumbholes for gold
Old 01-16-2014, 11:45 PM
Silver Member

The only negative to thumb hole stocks is if you do not have a thumb at all then it just becomes a hole stock.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnwhip View Post
I have several rifles that I have Laminated stocks and like them. I have a 700 varmint in 22-250 with the plastic sock that needs to go. I was wondering about a laminated thumbhole stock. I have never shot or held a rifle with a thumbhole stock. Anyone shoot a rifle with a thumbhole? What are the pro's and con's.
They look cool but I'd seriously suggest handling one before spending the money on it. They are very awkward for someone not used to shooting them or some other straight stock with a pistol grip.

If for example you shoot AR's a lot then you will probably like it but if you haven't it's going to feel very strange.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member

Also you would want to check your state firearms laws and laws of any states you are traveling to for hunts since to some idiots any form of a pistol grip on a stock makes it a nasty assault weapon.