Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Thoughts on BC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2003, 07:42 PM
*WyoWhisper*

Re: Thoughts on BC

Hey where is Elizabethville Pa??? I grew up not far from Elizabethtown....

One this I like very much about the RCBS.load ballistics program is that for most of the match bullets it already figures in the change in BC as the bullet travels down range.. it will tell you that...
a 168 gr SMK...

The BC at 1600 fps or slower is .405
at 2100 fps it is .424 at 2600 it is .447 faster than that it is .462.. it already figures this in the trajectory chart over the distance specified... pretty slick....

In my earlier post what I meant to say is that..

things WILL change when you change scopes.. ones scopes 1/4 min clicks are NOT the same as others...
Old 03-21-2003, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

As a recent reader of a number of books on exterior ballistics, meaning it's still fresh in my memory, I noted that a couple of the writers said in effect, "BC's are what you have to work with, they're a reasonable starting point.", or words to that effect. They prefer the use of drag coefficients and air density/velocity components in their calculations. That info is not generally available or verifiable as I understand it, unless you have radar and such. So it's back to the BC's and thankfully, more shooting. See, there is a good reason to use them! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Just my humble observation.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

WyoWhisper,

If your familure with Halifax im about 10 miles north of there.. But its about 45 mins North of Harrisburg..

6.5 Bandit
Old 03-21-2003, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Ric

I didn't know you were from that area in PA.

Carol (my wife) is from Highspire. I'm real familar with the Middletown, Highspire, Steelton area. All my relatives were born in the area. My Dad was born in Penbrook.

In-laws taught school at Halifax.

Small World

Later
DC
Old 03-21-2003, 10:25 PM
*WyoWhisper*

DC,

Actually.. I grew up in East Petersburg. Just outside of Lancaster. Went to Hempfield High School. I played alot of Hockey in Hershey....

Spent my days as a kid hunting on the farm land in Manheim, East Petersburg, Litiz, Millersburg area....

My Dad still lives in Millersburg..

I ( my Dad ) have a house on Lake Carey (Tunkhannock ) Spend my time hunting that area for Whitetail... oddly enough that county is Wyoming Co. !!

Settlers from that county actually settle this state ... FYI.... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2003, 10:41 PM
Silver Member

DC,

I actually grew up down in Middletown... My family still lives on newberry rd.. Which is just off of swatara creek rd..

6.5 Bandit
Old 03-21-2003, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Ric.

I Know the area. We use to hunt a lot of Hershey property when the Cock birds would come up 5 to 10 at a time.

I was just down that way at my In-laws house on Frederick St in Highspire.

Real small World and getting smaller.

Later
DC