Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Thompson center icon issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: Thompson center icon issues

Jinx. If the fouling is that bad, he should try some of Tubb's final finish and lap the barrel. Maybe he will come back and tell us what is going on. I have more than enough rifles right now, but if I were buying a factory rifle I would consider the ICON. I would like to know the outcome here!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Gold Member

I thought that after the initial break in I should not clean in it for at least 100 shots, well I was wrong, I start to get those fliers probably on the 20 – 30 shot I made, so I cleaned it and as soon as I did it start making one hole groups, by the way TC doesn't recommend ammonia based solvents, the Tubbs finish… Hmm never tried it, could be another miracle bullet.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Gold Member

Got back from the range today, the wind was terrible and I had inconsistent groups all day, one group measured 0.8” at 300 yards and the worse was like 4.25 don’t know what to say… then at 100 yards best group was 0.28 and worse 1.2”, and what amazes me is that my new brass which I only full size it did better then the one I been neck sizing at least 4 – 6 times… maybe its time to throw old brass away or try to full size it… or maybe it just the cross wind, I didn’t have any flags setup I was looking at the trees and bushes for wind direction and it was blowing to the right at 100 and somewhere passed 200 to the left, weird, but I noticed it by how leaves are flying from the trees, anyway even 4.25” group at 300 yards will be more then enough and when I hunt I don’t shoot groups
Old 09-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Gold Member

I will get back with you guys when I get to the range. It's packed right now because it's almost rifle season here so I plan on going on some Nf land tomorrow to shoot the rifle again. It's a beautiful rifle and more than well made. Just worring about how it shoots.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Gold Member

Went to the range today with 50 rounds loaded. Clean barrel, different scope. This thing gets hot fast so there is alot of waiting inbetween shooting(should have brought more than one . After the intial site-in I started shooting for groups. The first 2 were in the same hole then the 3rd was off at least an inch. This thing is all over the place. I really believe it just get's hot really fast and after that it's done. I shoot all heavy barrel guns and this is only the third light barrel gun I've owned but if you can't shoot 20 rounds down it in an hour I don't want it! I let it cool several times and it seems to tighten up after it cools down. I also tried some factory federal gold metal match ammo and it seemed to do the same thing. I think I'm done with it. I have several .308's and I don't need one that doesn't shoot.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Silver Member

You may be able to salvage the rifle with bedding the stock, but you sound like you may not want to go to effort for this one.

My question is: were the first shots out of the cool barrel in the same place?

Thanks, for the update!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Gold Member

I see, my TC in .308 comes with heavy barrel and I don’t have this overheating issue you do… Good luck, usually light barrel rifles are not for group shooting, they are more like one shot deal, two at most.