Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Thompson Center Encore

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 08:11 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Thompson Center Encore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS View Post
It is a triumph.

Got ya.....was thinking you got the T/C Encore muzzleloader for some reason.

Scott
Old 12-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Silver Member

Scott, What is the hanger for the forearm that you are referring to? Could you provide a link?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecat View Post
Scott, What is the hanger for the forearm that you are referring to? Could you provide a link?

>>>>> Hanger bar system <<<<<

Scott
Old 12-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Bronze Member

BlackSS

One thing that has not been mentioned to date is bench technique. The Encore rifle must be removed from the bags/rest each and every shot for reloading. In addition, how you close the action will have a significant affect on your groups. I have an Encore rifle built by Virgin Valley in 20BR that will produce groups that average less than 0.5MOA with a number of then closer to 0.25MOA. However these groups are only possible in this rifle if I consistantly close the action with the same amount of force AND pay attention to how the rifle is repositioned in the bags/rest. If I do not consistantly close the action I have learned the hard way that groups up to four inches tall and 3/8 wide have resulted.

Bottom line, with a good barrel and well fitted hinge pin AND good bench technique small groups are indeed possible.

Craig in SE Idaho
Old 12-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that closing the action would be that significant. Anything particular you do or just consistency?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Bronze Member

To achieve consistancy in the closing, I discovered that just raising the barrel and allowing the locking lugs to go into "battery" was the least consistant (in my Encore). I started to close the action by raising the barrel with a little more vigor but not slamming it closed seemed to produce better groups for me. I can reproduce the vertical stringing by combining these two methods of action closure.