Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Thinking of re-chambering my .30-.378....looking for more velocity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member
The real trick to building a Weatherby that shoots is minimum headspace (.001 or less)
At the risk of being told I am wrong, I will offer the following advice.

If you have such a well cut chamber, then headspace on the belt. If your chamber is cut sloppy then headspace on the shoulder to compensate for the excess.

With a minimum headspace chamber the soft brass will like to grow right in front of the belt and your resizing die will not do the job of getting it back down to where it will chamber again. At this time you have three choices. 1 get new brass. 2. Order the belt squisher die from the guy in Florida. 3. grab up your full lenght die and slap the base down on a belt sander until some is gone.

If you choose #3 then you will need to run a piece of fired brass through it and carefully adjust the die to just meet the belt. Once you know where that is then set the lock ring and you are good to go.
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club

Unread 01-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Gold Member

Hi I think you should be careful with the 3 grove pac nor brl. the lands are usualy wide and they can have a tendency to scolope out on the top and look like large dishes on them this allows gas to get past the projectiles as they are going down the bore. Also the 3 grove might be hard on thin jacketed projectiles like Bergers and A Max's.

Hope it works for you but don't get the barrel to hot.

Also be carefull as sometimes the pac nor barrels are not as hard as other brands so run it in well to work harden the bore and the heat from firing it will also heat treat the bore.

Cheers Bill