Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Thinking about adding a long range rifle to the collection and I need caliber advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: Thinking about adding a long range rifle to the collection and I need caliber adv

The 10 is a fine action. If you really wanted to do it right you should contact Jim over at Northland Shooters Supply and pick up one of the Savage Varmint actions. He also sells the barrels and whatever other parts you would need.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:08 AM
Gold Member

Re: Thinking about adding a long range rifle to the collection and I need caliber adv

IMO, the Rem 7mm Magnum would be an ideal cartridge for starting out in LRH. Available ammo with wide selection of bullets. Decent power out to 1000 yds. I also like the idea of building your own custom Savage. Unless you are looking at the Sendero model, Remington has become a bit of a crap shoot when it comes to accuracy.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:36 AM
Platinum Member

Well, you already have a short action Stevens. You could change it to a .260 (or AI version) but you would have to change the bolt head out and depending on the magazine, there may be some feeding issues. Not sure how your Stevens is set up (thinking blind magazine, so may need different follower). Any of the other SA cartridges (.308 family/.473" case head) should work.
Of course, in order to get the pre-fit barrel screwed on right you're gonna have to look at a barrel nut wrench, barrel vise, action wrench and go, no-go gauges.

This is all doable for a lot less than a full blown custom and YOU did it. Just saying..... JohnnyK.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the advice. I am not going to use my SA savage for a different gun. I like that .223 and it will stay there. I think what I will do is just keep my eyes open for an action, or even a deal on a used gun possibly. I might just buy a "cheaper" .260 and upgrade the stock and barrel in the near futureish.

Thanks again!
Old 09-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post
IMO, the Rem 7mm Magnum would be an ideal cartridge for starting out in LRH. Available ammo with wide selection of bullets. Decent power out to 1000 yds. I also like the idea of building your own custom Savage. Unless you are looking at the Sendero model, Remington has become a bit of a crap shoot when it comes to accuracy.
I agree, on Remingtons being a crap-shoot on the lower-end models. Once you get to the $750 and up price range, things start to accurize a good bit better. For example the CDL models, Senderos, 5R MilSpecs, and specialty models.

7mm RemMag, .300 WinMag, either of those would be great starter LR calibers, and you can buy good quality factory ammo for them, and save the brass for when you do reload.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

The 6.5s are great. Pick one. 260 is a great choice, creed, etc.

The fact you have a .308 caliber makes me lean toward the 6.5. Better BC bullets with out the recoil of the 06. I love my remington 700 BDL 3006 but my 6.5-284 is my go to rifle now. 7's are nice too, such as the 7mm 08. Great caliber.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:42 PM
Bronze Member

Couple of ideas for you. Remington has some good heavy barreled stuff for just north of $1k. You can get a 5R in 300 win mag that comes with a 24" threaded barrel. Throw on a muzzle brake for range shooting and for the little lady, unscrew it for the hunt to save your ears. This gun would weigh around 10-11 lbs finished and with a brake would kick very little. The 300 has enough poop to kill deer or elk out to 1000.

Another option would be to look for a cheap used gun and have it rebarreled. Pac Nor will true the action and install a custom barrel for $600 plus shipping both ways. You'd be looking at about a 8-9 lb gun finished. For this option I'd go with something in the 6.5/260 range. Even a .270 win would work nicely. It would be great for deer out to moderately long range but could be a bit light for extended pokes at elk.