Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Thinking about adding a long range rifle to the collection and I need caliber advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Bronze Member

Thinking about adding a long range rifle to the collection and I need caliber advice

My gun collection is currently: .22lr bolt, 5.56 ar, .223 stevens, 30-06 remmy, .50 muzzleloader, and a coulple shotguns. This collection basically covers anything that I could hunt in North America, so I would say that I have the base gun collection complete. Now I want to begin adding specific calibers for specific purposes.

I am a novice when it comes to long range shooting, basically. I want to get a gun that is fairly economic to shoot since I will be using factory ammo for a little while until I get all my reloading supplies. I want the gun to be a good "training" gun, that I can still use for medium-long range hunting if I get the urge. Something that will not kill the shoulder because I want my lady to be able to shoot it as well.

I was thinking like a .260 maybe? What do you guys think?

Thanks ahead of time!

EDIT: I plan on getting a rem 700 that has a B&C stock with the heavy varmint barrel. I will bed the action and attempt to accurize it as much as I can, for a beginner rifle.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: Thinking about adding a long range rifle to the collection and I need caliber adv

I think you are on the right track and have picked a super caliber...the 260 is a great round.

One suggestion I would make is to look into a custom rifle as it seems you have the basics down and once you start down this road you'll probably wish you would have purchased a custom. One place to look for an affordable long range custom is Snowy Mountain Custom Rifles - Quality performance rifles for long range marksmanship. they are a sponsor here and offer a couple of options that will get you into a nice custom rifle without breaking the bank.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Thinking about adding a long range rifle to the collection and I need caliber adv

Yea that was another consideration in my purchase. I want it to be really accurate, mostly for a confidence builder, but I do NOT want to go out and spend $2500 or more on this rifle. I want a nice long range gun and I would like to keep the cost around $1000, or lower if possible.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member

If you could raise your budget to about $1,500 for the rifle only, that would really help open up alot of roads to travel down...

Just saying...

For a true long range hunting rifle for deer sized game and up to 1,000-15,00 yards, you're gonna want a large magnum caliber... 7mm STW, .300 WinMag, . 338 RUM, .30-378 Wby, something along those lines.

Also, you're gonna want a good scope, and just a long range Nightforce scope will run you $1,700-$2,300.

There's really no cheap way to get into this game, unfortunately.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

Build a custom savage. You can build your own savage with match quality barrel for under $1000 and it will shoot just as good as a more expensive set up. They have nearly as much after market support as the Remington's with the added bonus of not requiring a smith to get it all set up. The 260 is a fantastic cartridge for what you are wanting to do. The 6.5 creedmoor may offer the better factory ammo options though with nearly identical performance.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Bronze Member

Savage model 12 LRP in .260 and never look back. Can be found for under 1K out the door. Is heavy but is a long range rig.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:54 PM
Bronze Member

I was also thinking of doing that Savage build idea. I was thinking like a Savage 10 action with a bell and carlson stock and a nice match barrel. I like the idea of savage because I like being able to do things myself. It will probably get mounted with a nice cheap vortex, I am not going to spend $2k on the scope right now. Eventually I plan on having a super nice and accurate setup, but I need to "train" myself first.

What do you think about that action? Should I look for a different one? I have just heard good things about the 10s.